Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
After reaching the NCAA semifinals in 2012, the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team once again has high expectations as it prepares for the 2013 season.
On Tuesday, the Fighting Irish were selected as the preseason favorite to win the BIG EAST conference. Notre Dame received five first-place votes and was chosen ahead of Syracuse (two first-place votes) and St. John’s, the squad that knocked the Irish out of last year’s BIG EAST tournament.
Led by senior goalie and 2012 Tewaaraton Award nominee John Kemp, five Irish players were chosen for the All-BIG EAST Preseason Team. Rounding out the group are junior midfielder Jim Marlatt, senior defenseman Matt Miller, senior attack Sean Rogers and junior attack Westy Hopkins.
The hopeful journey to Philadelphia (the site of this year’s Final Four) begins on Saturday in the Champion Challenge at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida. Notre Dame will face the U.S. National Team (10 am) and Jacksonville University (5 pm) in a pair of scrimmages.
The regular season kicks off on Feb. 16 at Duke, the team the Irish upset in last year’s opener.
In addition to games against the six other BIG EAST programs, the 2013 slate includes contests at Penn State and Denver, home versus North Carolina, Hofstra and Ohio State, and in Chicago against Marquette, who will be playing its inaugural season.
Four games will be featured on ESPN networks, beginning March 16 at Denver (ESPN3). ESPNU will carry the BIG EAST match-ups against Georgetown (April 14) and Villanova (April 20) at Arlotta Stadium.
Finally, ESPNU will also broadcast the Big City Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., featuring Notre Dame and Syracuse on April 27.
About In The Crease
- Testing day continues with Beep Test and Broad Jump. Re-test will be August for comparison. Year of the Irish in 2014 http://t.co/6iOiPiOTLV 1 day ago
- Squats, Hang Clean, Weighted Pull Ups, Vert Leap & more. Foundational & core strength tests. #2014yearoftheirish http://t.co/w433HeCAaB 1 day ago
- Next season begins right now with Testing Workout for Group 1 of Returning Players fb.me/2D2BUH4kV 1 day ago
- A most sincere THANK YOU to all of our fans who crisscrossed the country to support our team. It is what makes... fb.me/VrGpIONo 1 day ago
- Post-game press conference instagram.com/p/ZghvkiHRPj/ 2 days ago
- RT @JonGordon11: One person in pursuit of excellence raises the energy and performance of everyone around them. 2 days ago
- RT @NotreDame: Diploma ceremonies have begun. Congratulations to all of our graduates and their families and friends this weekend! #ND2013 2 days ago
- Congratulations to NDlax class of 2013! #SoProud http://t.co/vKIHlxkShG 2 days ago
- Congratulations to Barbara Sullivan on becoming the youngest first team All-American in school history and to... fb.me/2MXwMv8j0 6 days ago
- The 2013 season has come to an end with the Irish closing out the season at 12-5. There were plenty of highlights... fb.me/25vwxodPW 1 week ago
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional