Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
After reaching the NCAA semifinals in 2012, the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team once again has high expectations as it prepares for the 2013 season.
On Tuesday, the Fighting Irish were selected as the preseason favorite to win the BIG EAST conference. Notre Dame received five first-place votes and was chosen ahead of Syracuse (two first-place votes) and St. John’s, the squad that knocked the Irish out of last year’s BIG EAST tournament.
Led by senior goalie and 2012 Tewaaraton Award nominee John Kemp, five Irish players were chosen for the All-BIG EAST Preseason Team. Rounding out the group are junior midfielder Jim Marlatt, senior defenseman Matt Miller, senior attack Sean Rogers and junior attack Westy Hopkins.
The hopeful journey to Philadelphia (the site of this year’s Final Four) begins on Saturday in the Champion Challenge at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida. Notre Dame will face the U.S. National Team (10 am) and Jacksonville University (5 pm) in a pair of scrimmages.
The regular season kicks off on Feb. 16 at Duke, the team the Irish upset in last year’s opener.
In addition to games against the six other BIG EAST programs, the 2013 slate includes contests at Penn State and Denver, home versus North Carolina, Hofstra and Ohio State, and in Chicago against Marquette, who will be playing its inaugural season.
Four games will be featured on ESPN networks, beginning March 16 at Denver (ESPN3). ESPNU will carry the BIG EAST match-ups against Georgetown (April 14) and Villanova (April 20) at Arlotta Stadium.
Finally, ESPNU will also broadcast the Big City Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., featuring Notre Dame and Syracuse on April 27.
About In The Crease
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Great Family Style Dinner to start Spring Break!!! @MaggianosRVA thanks for having us http://t.co/46CdltwFTx 1 hour ago
- Beautiful night to practice under the lights at Richmond #GoIrish #nofilter http://t.co/MaGE1XVeab 4 hours ago
- No. 7/6 Notre Dame riding momentum into Tuesday's game at Richmond.... fb.me/12VAsxgkx 4 hours ago
- New rankings are out. We've moved up to No. 7 in today's IWLCA poll and No. 6 in the Brine media poll. Let's keep it rolling! #GoIrish 10 hours ago
- Happy Birthday to Soph. Danielle Lukish. #ily #HBD #IrishFamily http://t.co/hBOXBQIP4H 10 hours ago
- M. Basketball. At Home On The Farm And On The Hardwood
- Track. A Long-Distance Runner With An Impressive Past
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Down #10 Duke, 69-53, For ACC Title
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 6 NC State in Series Finale, 7-0
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Gets First ACC Win Against No. 25 Florida State
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Blank Georgia Tech 12-0 To Win First ACC Series
- M. Golf. Irish Begin Spring Slate At San Diego Classic Monday
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #10 Duke Sunday In ACC Championship Game
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Advance In Hockey East Playoffs With 3-2 Win Over Boston University
- Baseball. No. 6 Wolfpack Sweep Irish In Saturday ACC Action