Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @ACCMLax: The @Inside_Lacrosse Preseason Poll: 1) @Duke_MLAX 2) @SUMensLax 3) @uncmenslacrosse 4) @NDlacrosse 6) @MDTerpsLacrosse 9) @UV… 5 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@NDLacrosse's documentary "4 Days in Colorado" comes out tomorrow! Check out the trailer while we wait- http://t.co/2Z… 5 hours ago
- RT @McMurphyESPN: RT @DudeYouCrazy: Auburn has defeated 2 Top-5 BCS teams in 8 days. Ohio State has defeated 2 Top-5 BCS teams in past 3,99… 1 day ago
- RT @byrneirish: Boom! “@NDMenSoccer: IRISH GOAL!! Patrick Hodan finds space and knocks one home! Irish up 2-0 in 47th min #Elite8” 1 day ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Congrats to @NDMenSoccer alum Matt Besler (@mbesler) on winning the @MLS Cup! Now get to @WatchND to watch your Bro! h… 1 day ago
- RT @ACCWLax: RT @LacrosseMag It's an all @ACCWLax (@SyracuseLax x2, @uncwlax, @MarylandWLax, @NDWomensLax) finals for WDI #LaxPOY http://t… 3 hours ago
- Treating ourselves to Friendlys sundaes and fribbles after a day of travel and victory by @NDMenSoccer #hitsthespot http://t.co/I6CfzB6qIo 1 day ago
- Congrats @NDMenSoccer! #nextstopphilly 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in the Main Building #LoveND http://t.co/AfHd1QVI7n 2 days ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Free hot chcolate>>20 degree game time forecast. Let's go @NDMenSoccer! Let's get that College Cup berth! #GoIrish #NDFami… 2 days ago
- M. Swimming. Irish Secure Wire-To-Wire Hawkeye Invitational Title
- W. Swimming. Irish Complete Convincing Win At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Back At It On Monday Against Bryant
- Football. Brian Kelly Pinstripe Bowl Announcement Press Conference Transcript
- M. Swimming. More Records Left In Irish Wake On Day Two Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish College Cup Bound For The First Time
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Massachusetts Goal Sends Irish To Defeat, 3-2
- W. Swimming. Irish Extend Lead With Solid Saturday At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Notes