Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- What is it like 2 b a student-athlete & member of ND Lax program? Check out "ND Lax Experience" Playlist on YouTube youtube.com/playlist?list=… 5 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: What a night at the ESPYS for the Irish! Between #MaxAtTheESPYS and @Drake rocking a @NDwbb jersey, it was a time! http:… 20 hours ago
- Dave Earl '11 helps lead Team Canada to World FIL Lacrosse Championship... fb.me/6DaFC1vw3 1 day ago
- RT @CAVLAX: Cav U13 wins the Windy City Classic. We rocked the green in honor of our friends at @ndlacrosse @ Chicago instagram.com/p/qsATIMJto_/ 1 day ago
- Congratulations 2 @DavidEarl33 on World Championship victory with Team Canada, 2 way middies are always the most valuable mids in any team 2 days ago
- #nowhereelsebutnotredame #40yearcommitment collegemagazine.com/editorial/4137… 3 hours ago
- CONGRATS @NDXCTF on the hiring of Coach Alan Turner as your new Head Coach! #GoIrish #NDFamily 4 days ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Max Lachowecki (@MAX_sWELLy) of @NDMenSoccer gets in ESPYS @CapitalOneCup 360* Room w/Hannah Rogers (@GatorZoneNews). … 4 days ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: We've gone from ND to ND at the 2014 ESPYS... 5 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: LIVE ON ESPN - Max Lachowecki (@NDMenSoccer) and Golden Tate (@NDFootball). ND men honored as @CapitalOneCup Champs. htt… 5 days ago
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Players Face Off In ITA Tournament Finals
- M. Lacrosse. David Earl And Team Canada Win FIL World Championships
- W. Swimming. Irish Women's Swimming And Diving Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session III - Final Day Game Schedule
- Football. Nine Different Irish Football Players Make Watch Lists
- Track. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- Cross Country. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- W. Soccer. Roccaro, Naughton Named To U.S. Under-20 Women's World Cup Team
- Football. Joe Schmidt Nominated for AFCA Good Works Team
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame To Host ITA Summer Circuit Event