Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- Eliminator In Indianapolis: youtu.be/5_qG7CnW-_s?a via @YouTube 4 hours ago
- RT @CoachKarweckND: @byrneirish in all his glory...NCAA Quarterfinal Dessert http://t.co/NbW04zKiUf 6 hours ago
- Game day uniform pick up ncaa #goirish instagram.com/p/ZeWdUgHRPI/ 8 hours ago
- ndlacrosse.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/nd-… Latest "In The... fb.me/J1cE94AY 13 hours ago
- New blog- ND Men’s Lacrosse Invades Indy- NCAA Quarterfinals, Day 2 bit.ly/YR5BJc #GoIrish 13 hours ago
- Congratulations to Barbara Sullivan on becoming the youngest first team All-American in school history and to... fb.me/2MXwMv8j0 3 days ago
- The 2013 season has come to an end with the Irish closing out the season at 12-5. There were plenty of highlights... fb.me/25vwxodPW 1 week ago
- Irish end season at 12-5. 1 week ago
- Stanford wins 8-7 and advances to play Northwestern Sun. They scored 2 goals in under 2 minutes to snatch victory from jaws of defeat. 1 week ago
- Farr uses the free position with four seconds left to give Stanford an 8-7 lead. Irish must control draw and fire with little time left. 1 week ago
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team