Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- The 1st Event in the O'Leary Cup (r annual November Training Series) began yesterday began w/box lacrosse league). Pictures & MVP's to come 47 minutes ago
- RT @NXTChicago: Taggin' cans at office for big @TrashcanLax event tmrw with @OWLSLAX and @NDlacrosse #swooshonbothsides #justdoit http://t.… 10 hours ago
- Learn more about our @playing4peace event w/OWLS Lacrosse tomorrow in Chicago #CCC... fb.me/34w9hInAP 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsidSean: . @NDlacrosse heads to Chicago on Saturday to team up w/ @OWLSLAX for 3rd annual @playing4peace service day… http://t.co/xPu… 12 hours ago
- RT @CoachPK42: @jamiemunro3 Coach Bob Crable at @LetsGoBigMoe - Religion teacher. NCAA football record holder... und.com/sports/m-footb… 16 hours ago
- Wrapping up #fallball with a blue vs gold scrimmage #IrishVictory #bluegold @UALacrosse http://t.co/Lb1BGyb3Up 15 hours ago
- Our favorite group costume - Brad and Sam Kneibel as movie concession workers and baby Leah as popcorn… instagram.com/p/u0tljHyIB2/ 19 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Never too early for some stats with Professor Huynh from @NDBusiness and Caroline from @NDWomensLax #KBTwtterTakeover http:… 20 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachGeoff: Success of a team falls upon the quality of athlete and environment created by a skilled coaching staff - no individual s… 1 day ago
- Life stages #seniors #winners #ndwlaxcostumecontest instagram.com/p/uy9u6zSIHr/ 1 day ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Open Hockey East Schedule With A 3-2 Win Over Vermont
- W. Volleyball. Irish Fall In Five Sets To Georgia Tech On Halloween
- W. Swimming. Irish Return Home For Hoosier State Showdown With No. 24 Purdue
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Head To Chicago For Playing For Peace Service Day
- M. Basketball. Tom Hawkins Set To Become Seventh Notre Dame Basketball Ring Of Honor Inductee
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: A Wall In Goal
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish Fifth, Men Finish Seventh At ACC Championships
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season