Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @FightingIrish: It's a big game for @NDLacrosse vs #3 Maryland, so we need Arlotta rocking. Reserve your @NDTix now- http://t.co/WeavVKC… 40 minutes ago
- ND Lax News: Maryland, ACC Tourney, Sergio & how to stay connected with us on Social Media. Just click the link... fb.me/13rspH5FE 49 minutes ago
- In-depth gear spread for our special Shamrock Series Kit for Maryland game on Saturday from @inside_lacrosse... fb.me/6nXdMNDJa 54 minutes ago
- Check out @Inside_Lacrosse spread 4 r Shamrock Series equipment & uni's for ND/MD on ESPNU on Saturday insidelacrosse.com/article/notre-… @uniswag #CCC 57 minutes ago
- Special kits, nice spring forecast, & Maryland Men's Lacrosse will be in town. What more do you need on a... fb.me/2OqV4BRz3 3 hours ago
- RT @Stepien_Center: Incredibly interesting article on late-hour work e-mailing and the work-life balance bit.ly/1nrlAbb via @Boston… 3 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: I just signed up to be a Social Ambassador for Notre Dame Day 2014! Learn more and sign up here #NDday - http://t.co/46a… 3 hours ago
- A masterpiece by @WatchND and @NDfidm going inside our win over Duke and a budding @ACCWLax rivalry. Must watch! watchnd.tv/#!/videos/BoMm… 4 hours ago
- Congrats to Cortney Fortunato, the Notre Dame Student-Athlete of the Week! Nice clip, @WatchND! watchnd.tv/#!/videos/F0cT… 1 day ago
- #NDday is 4/27, starting at 6:42pm ET - Download the official twitter icon and desktop wallpaper here - sot.ag/2BkbY 1 day ago
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Enjoy Historic Offensive Night In 17-2 Win Over Toledo
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Plays In Its First ACC Championship This Weekend
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo