Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @HoyasMLacrosse: 14 days until the #Hoyas open the 2015 season at @NDlacrosse #WeAreGeorgetown http://t.co/MVLf3J8gz0 3 hours ago
- RT @PiratesMLAX: Great shooting drill we will be using this year. Thanks @NDlacrosse MT: @NDLaxTV: Latest Shooting drill https://t.co/zrfdA… 3 hours ago
- RT @Braves_Lacrosse: @NDlacrosse did an awesome job coaching our Braves coaches tonight! Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! #GTNO http… 3 hours ago
- RT @theycallme_PK: Awesome time today at the @NDlacrosse coaches clinic, can't wait to learn more tomorrow 3 hours ago
- RT @Lane_Errington: Annual preseason favorite: Rival coaches scouting reports on @NikeLacrosse/@LacrosseMag Top 20 bit.ly/1CY05bt h… 3 hours ago
- Kicking off our Saturday with an intersquad scrimmage #IrishWin #GoIrish @UALacrosse @FightingIrish http://t.co/1Wh23uvTEq 14 hours ago
- RT @LTorbin: @NDWomensLax @NDcoachPenny More good real life experience for the great Hannah Hartman tonight! Not just lax at ND. http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @thisisbarbie: @NDmbb @NDIrishEyes @NDWomensLax #IrishOn3 http://t.co/d0a1snQVJd 3 days ago
- What a game @NDmbb #irish #defense #BeatBlueDevils http://t.co/aYSVB1eUyg 3 days ago
- RT @NDmbb: #8 ND 77 - #4 Duke 73 FINAL We couldn't do it without our home crowd! #Together http://t.co/6TMc6hgjDg 3 days ago
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finished Northwestern Duals With Perfect 13-0 Mark
- Football. Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown Named to Pro Football Hall of Fame
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Wins, 5-3; Earns Split With UNH
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Wins Over Missouri State and Incarnate Word, Swims to Second against Iowa
- W. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Winning Weekend With Exciting Senior Day
- Track. Harris Sets Another Record As Irish Conclude Razorback Invitational
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Putting Power Back into Power Play
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Host Wake Forest Sunday In Pink Zone Game
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Postgame Notes