Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- Great Veteran's Day/WOD Event & Workout w/students, ROTC & guests @teamRWB 1 hour ago
- Stunning view of campus. instagram.com/p/vq01PlHREj/ 1 hour ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/byvPyc5_rDY?a ND Strength: Footwork Fundamentals 3 hours ago
- Reg for 5th Annual NDLaxTV Nat’l Coaching Clinic is LIVE at irishLaxCamps.com. Film Sesh, Open Prax, Drill Books, Air Force Scrim &more 15 hours ago
- ND Strength: Footwork Fundamentals: youtu.be/byvPyc5_rDY?a via @YouTube 17 hours ago
- RT @NDHeisler: Notre Dame is #1 overall seed in 2014 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship bracket, followed by #2 UCLA, #3 Michigan State and #4 … 3 days ago
- Catch the Irish when we come to your area! Registration is still open for our Dec 7th clinic in Massachusetts and... fb.me/3rsx2m03C 1 week ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Big thanks to @MikeAndMike for hosting today’s show in Sports Heritage Hall! It’s always great to see @espngolic and @Espng… 1 week ago
- RT @Lane_Errington: Annual @LacrosseMag "Gym Rats" fitness package gets a military makeover bit.ly/1xuj0ri #VeteransDay http://t.co… 1 week ago
- RT @NDCoachGeoff: "The question isn't who is going to let me, it's who is going to stop me." - Ayn Rand @NDWomensLax @NDMensTennis #wontsto… 1 week ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 3-1 Decision To UMass Lowell In Hockey East Action
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life
- Football. Changing Course
- Football. Irish Extra: Luke Picks Up the Pace
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet UMass And Providence This Weekend
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Beachem Embraces Upsized Role
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Set To Play In 2015 Orlando Classic