Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- RT @CoachPK42: @jamiemunro3 Coach Bob Crable at @LetsGoBigMoe - Religion teacher. NCAA football record holder... und.com/sports/m-footb… 3 hours ago
- RT @WaltonCaps: This is the sign posted in the visiting penalty box at Notre Dame. Hilarious. See ya tonight at 8 on @NBCSN http://t.co/Vpr… 5 hours ago
- RT @OWLSCoachA: @NDlacrosse Thanks for the shout out, our students are fired up. This will be a day that transcends lacrosse. #CCC 6 hours ago
- Another fall, another trip to Chicago to work w/@owlslax & director Sam Angelotta & his boys/girls at St.... fb.me/6OJy3Jiin 7 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Happy Halloween from #Mendoza! http://t.co/S1VAWUdbeJ 8 hours ago
- Wrapping up #fallball with a blue vs gold scrimmage #IrishVictory #bluegold @UALacrosse http://t.co/Lb1BGyb3Up 2 hours ago
- Our favorite group costume - Brad and Sam Kneibel as movie concession workers and baby Leah as popcorn… instagram.com/p/u0tljHyIB2/ 6 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Never too early for some stats with Professor Huynh from @NDBusiness and Caroline from @NDWomensLax #KBTwtterTakeover http:… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachGeoff: Success of a team falls upon the quality of athlete and environment created by a skilled coaching staff - no individual s… 20 hours ago
- Life stages #seniors #winners #ndwlaxcostumecontest instagram.com/p/uy9u6zSIHr/ 22 hours ago
- W. Swimming. Irish Return Home For Hoosier State Showdown With No. 24 Purdue
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Head To Chicago For Playing For Peace Service Day
- M. Basketball. Tom Hawkins Set To Become Seventh Notre Dame Basketball Ring Of Honor Inductee
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Travel To Boston College For Regular Season Finale
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Close Regular Season Saturday At Pitt
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: A Wall In Goal
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish Fifth, Men Finish Seventh At ACC Championships
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series