Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EST
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/gAaH6Iog6Ec?a "Establish and Lean": Near Crease Dodging 6 hours ago
- RT @CoachKarweckND: “@NDlacrosse presents a new NDLaxTV @NDLaxtips drill 4 the Attack youtu.be/gAaH6Iog6Ec?a” #FeelTheHeat 11 hours ago
- Coach Karweck is back w/another NDLaxTV Coaching Drill, see more here... fb.me/LvYKAmWP 11 hours ago
- ND v. Denver in Inaugural Event in California und.com/sports/m-lacro… fb.me/1vB1k7nUd 14 hours ago
- RT @mattkinnear: Good to see @NDlacrosse @DU_MLAX Cali. game getting mainstream pub lat.ms/193H3SM (Via @latimes) 16 hours ago
- RT @JonGordon11: Good leaders know how to lead. Great leaders know why they lead. They are driven by purpose 13 minutes ago
- Dude where's my bike? #NDbikewars #finalshumor http://t.co/xAA5mE3Nzv 1 hour ago
- RT @SportsCenter: Former South African president Nelson Mandela, who helped seal bid for 2010 World Cup, has died at the age of 95 » http:/… 15 hours ago
- RT @JonGordon11: Encourage the people you encounter during your day and you'll create an amazing life. 18 hours ago
- RT @SportsProverbs: A river cuts through rock, not because of its power, but because of its persistence. – Jim Watkins 1 day ago
- W. Swimming. Irish Close Out Fall At Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Track and Field Kick Off Seasons With Blue & Gold Invitational This Weekend
- Fencing. TBT: On Throw Back Thursday, What To Be Thankful For
- M. Soccer. Irish And Spartans To Battle For College Cup Bid
- M. Ice Hockey. Crashing The Crease
- M. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Fall Schedule At Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame To Face Denver In Inaugural Pacific Coast Shootout
- W. Basketball. Skylar Diggins Named March Of Dimes Sportswoman Of The Year
- W. Basketball. Achonwa Leads No. 4 Irish Past No. 10 Penn State
- M. Ice Hockey. Thomas DiPauli Selected To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships