Mar 8, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
The sixth-ranked Irish continued a scorching start to the year at home in Loftus on Tuesday by making a statement to the rest of the nation with an authoritative 22-1 win over Detroit (1-4). This team has started as well as anyone and is a legit contender right now for the best team in collegiate women’s lacrosse. Not only did the win catapult Notre Dame to a 4-0 record, but the margin of victory was also the most in school history at 21 goals. Notre Dame also surpassed last season’s goal scoring record of 21, showing coach Christine Halfpenny’s up-tempo, high-octane offense.
The underdog, Detroit, didn’t have time to react when they stepped on the field as the Irish jolted out to a 13-0 lead in the first half. This barrage of scoring set the tone for the game as a whole. The Irish outshot their opponent 19-2 in the first half and 35-6 for the game, giving Ellie Hilling a break during the entire contest, in which she only had to make a single save.
Senior attack Jenny Granger scored on each of her four shot attempts, pushing her total goal count at seven on the year. Shauna Pugliese also had four goals and an assist from the bench on a day where twelve total players scored. Junior attack player Kristen Cousins played in her first game of the season and netted three goals. Backup goalie Adele Bruggeman saw over 17 minutes of action as the Irish were able to rotate many bench players into the mix. Freshman Rachel Sextone saw her first minutes of the season and also scored a goal.
The Irish owned every major statistical category. They went four for six on free position shots, cut Detroit’s amount of turnovers in half (26-13), and won both ground balls and draw controls. Basically, everything Coach Halfpenny stresses on a daily basis the Irish succeeded to accomplish. Although Detroit is hardly the opponent Notre Dame would be facing in a deep playoff situation, this favorable outcome has to be a confidence booster for every member of the team.
About In The Crease
- Check out the latest NDLaxTV Drill, this one w/@coachkarweckND helps Attackmen get to the front of the goal &... fb.me/3rDDu8CW9 11 hours ago
- Check out the newest NDLaxTV Drill from @coachkarweckND called 'Wrapper's Delight", teaching corner turns... youtu.be/T2qVmhK5HTU?a 11 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/T2qVmhK5HTU?a NDLaxTV Drill: "Wrapper's Delight" 11 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Nice pick for No. 1! RT @USATODAYcollege: The 10 best helmets in college football - usat.ly/1pCyFxb 19 hours ago
- Check out the ND Lax #ILFallBall trip to Lake Max/CMA including practice, ropes course & post-training swim facebook.com/media/set/?set… #CCC 22 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: It's ACC Sportsmanship Week! Learn what @TheACC is doing to support sportsmanship in our conference family http://t.co/U… 20 hours ago
- RT @gamedayND: You should begin to plan your #GreenFriday outfit now. Why? Because the best ensembles will win #NDgameday shades! http://t.… 21 hours ago
- DOLO problems #mcsforprez http://t.co/W7mY8IO5lL 2 days ago
- Blazer nation back on their high school soil #ndp #throwuptherings instagram.com/p/tdqIICyIHf/ 2 days ago
- How many laxers can you fit in a selfie? 🍀 #postgameselfie #timetoeat http://t.co/9Z06X8Xcqx 2 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
- M. Golf. Sciupider Tied For Lead, Irish Slip To Fifth On Day Two Of The Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- General News. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Soccer. #2 Notre Dame Set For First Encounter With VCU
- W. Tennis. Women's ITA All-American Championships Update
- M. Golf. Notre Dame Owns One-Shot Lead After First Round Of Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Review Teleconference Transcript
- M. Tennis. Fighting Irish Wrap Up Play At Two Tournaments
- W. Tennis. Irish Women's Tennis Closes Out Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. #20/16 Irish Score Early, Hold Off Wake Forest 1-0 In ACC Tilt