Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Sixth-ranked Notre Dame’s start to 2013 has been remarkable and the offensive improvements the Irish have made from last year are extremely evident at this point in the season. The Irish gave the home crowd a great deal to cheer about in yet another explosive offensive outburst, improving to 5-0 by defeating Boston, 16-11, in Saturday’s late afternoon game in Arlotta Stadium.
The win was not easy to come by, as it looked like the women’s team would fall off the ranks of the unbeaten just as the men’s team had a few hours earlier. Boston surprised the Irish with eight first half goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break. The Terriers outshot the Irish, 22-14, and Kristen Mogovero netted three goals. One of the lone positives in the first half was that Notre Dame went 2-3 in free position goal attempts. Coach Christine Halfpenny got her team’s attention during the break and a total refocus allowed for 12 second half goals and a 16-11 comeback rout in favor of Notre Dame. The Irish finished the game controlling the draw 18-11 overall and 11-5 in the second. Notre Dame also finished the second half doubling the Terriers’ shot attempts, 20-10.
Three of the Irish attack had at least three goals, as Boston’s defense simply couldn’t handle their game plan to create open shots. Notre Dame’s two leading goal scorers continued to add to an onslaught of offensive output this season with four goals from Jaimie Morrison (11 on the season) and three from Jenny Granger (10). Morrison also passed for two assists and Granger added an assist as well. Morrison now has 18 points on the season and Granger is a close second with 16 points. Fellow attack Lauren Sullivan had three goals of her own for a total of eight on the year. Freshman midfielder Stephanie Toy contributed from off the bench for three goals and an assist. Senior attack Betsy Mastropieri also scored a pair of goals.
The Irish should continue to climb up the deBeer Media Poll with an impressive beginning to 2013 and a 5-0 start, including a 3-0 home record thus far. Notre Dame will look to go 6-0 against Vanderbilt on Wednesday in Nashville.
About In The Crease
- RT @NotreDame: Did you know Rev. Charles O'Donnell's "doughboy" helmet from World War I hangs in the @NDBasilica? http://t.co/poJkAkZOsX 12 hours ago
- RT @DICKS: There’s toughness weaved into every fiber. The Notre Dame gear from Under Armour: bit.ly/1nN8c4B http://t.co/JaoXXFlnFr 13 hours ago
- RT @coachmattia: @byrneirish @Irishlaxcamps @NDlacrosse Nobody does it better, thanks for giving the guys the experience #peopleschamps 1 day ago
- RT @TriStateHSAllSt: Tri-State Green and Navy finishing up a great week @NDlacrosse http://t.co/y1jZos9wZF 1 day ago
- RT @MNLoons: U16 Black wins Division Championship 8-3. 7-0 over the weekend @NDLacrosse Recruiting Camp instagram.com/p/q9gfVQyP9G/ 1 day ago
- RT @Sports_Greats: Never hold your head down, never say you can't, never limit yourself, and never stop believing. 10 hours ago
- RT @ArtsLettersND: VIDEO: The Notre Dame Liberal Arts Experience youtu.be/CP6eHEMlD3w @NDadmissions @ProudtobeND 1 day ago
- RT @IrishCompliance: Congrats to Brent Moberg on this beautiful day. Wishing you many years of happiness🎉🎊 http://t.co/11AOOEa0x6 2 days ago
- RT @BGI_AndrewOwens: Some great aerial shots of the new turf at #NotreDame Stadium courtesy of @JoeRaymond52: http://t.co/pXLttKAufy 4 days ago
- RT @1001RecruitTips: Coaches can't evaluate your talent without seeing you play, and there isn't a lot to talk about until coaches can eval… 4 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class