Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Two more Top 10 wins vaulted the third-ranked Irish to 5-1 on the year. Notre Dame notched yet another tight victory against then fifth-ranked Denver at Mile High Stadium, 13-12 in overtime, and followed that performance with a much more convincing 9-4 victory on Wednesday inside Loftus over Ohio State. While tumultuous weather forced Notre Dame indoors, the Irish played with evident extra motivation to defeat the eighth-ranked Buckeyes.
Notre Dame provided consistent scoring in the first half with three goals in both the first and second quarters. Ryan Foley got the scoring started with a goal at the 14:11 mark in the first, followed by two goals by Conor Doyle and Nick Ossello. Both goals were assisted by freshman attackman Matt Kavanagh, who leads the Irish in total points and goals scored. Notre Dame scored five goals in a row at one point from late in the first through the second quarter. The Irish’s diverse scoring attack, which is 27th in the country, featured Ryan Mix, Jim Marlatt, and Kavanagh each scoring in the second.
Sean Rogers added two goals in the fourth quarter after both teams were held scoreless in the third. Rogers now has 10 goals on the year and recorded his fourth multi-goal game. The former Big East Offensive Player of the Week Kavanagh also scored his second goal of the game, his 11th total, to end the scoring blitz by the Irish. Five Notre Dame goal scorers had two or more points in the game dominated in total shots, 42-27. In fact, Notre Dame led in almost every major statistical category including ground balls, face offs, and saves.
Notre Dame’s defense only surrendered a goal in the first period and three in the fourth. Reegan Comeault scored two goals and the Buckeyes supplemented his offense with a goal apiece from David Planning and Jesse King. The Notre Dame defense of Stephen O’Hara, Senior CLASS Award candidate Matt Miller, Brian Buglione, and goalie John Kemp bottled up the Ohio State possessions for most of the game.
The Irish will next travel to New Jersey to face conference foe, Rutgers. This opens up Notre Dame’s BIG EAST competition and it should dictate how the Irish will match up against teams that make up the rest of the conference.
About In The Crease
- GAME DAY. Arlotta Stadium, Noon ET. Live TV Coverage on ESPNU. Go Irish! fb.me/6wJvdgNIG 1 hour ago
- GAME DAY. Arlotta Stadium at NOON, ET. #GoIrish #griND http://t.co/L23VwNDTXv 1 hour ago
- RT @FightingIrish: We want everyone at Arlotta getting rowdy to support our Irish! Not in the area? @NDlacrosse is on ESPNU (12pm), @NDWome… 1 hour ago
- RT @LaxLessons: Today on TV: Maryland plays at Notre Dame for ACC title. fb.me/2ClFPsjvj @ESPNU #laxgameday #menslax @NDlacrosse @MD… 1 hour ago
- RT @paulcarcaterra: Very excited to head out to @NDlacrosse for noon face tomorrow @espnu v @MDTerpsLacrosse Lets hear some predictions! #… 9 hours ago
- Kaitlyn Brosco's experience has been helping ND on attack the past two games.... fb.me/2RFDD1NUm 2 hours ago
- RT @byrneirish: ND named 6th most beautiful college campus in the world & #1 in US insignia-lb.com/2013/01/24/the… 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to junior captain Barbara Sullivan #barbaranotbarb 1 day ago
- Todays #TBT goes out to Twitter-less Daniel. #pale #rawr #ilybye #GoIrish http://t.co/Dq1ngxsBdf 1 day ago
- April 27th support @NDWomensLax during #NDday! Give, vote recruit, repeat. Every gift matters. NotreDameDay.ND.edu http://t.co/KlIBkVIWjJ 1 day ago
- Baseball. Irish Travel To Coral Gables For Showdown With Top-20 Miami
- Track. Both Teams Finish Day Two Of The ACCs In Eighth Place
- Softball. Perfection From Winter Leads #21/22 Irish To Day One Sweep Of Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Team In Seventh Heading Into Final Round Of ACC Championship
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Travels To Play Syracuse
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame to Take On Boston College This Weekend
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish In Michigan For ACC/Big Ten Challenge On Saturday
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship