Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Two more Top 10 wins vaulted the third-ranked Irish to 5-1 on the year. Notre Dame notched yet another tight victory against then fifth-ranked Denver at Mile High Stadium, 13-12 in overtime, and followed that performance with a much more convincing 9-4 victory on Wednesday inside Loftus over Ohio State. While tumultuous weather forced Notre Dame indoors, the Irish played with evident extra motivation to defeat the eighth-ranked Buckeyes.
Notre Dame provided consistent scoring in the first half with three goals in both the first and second quarters. Ryan Foley got the scoring started with a goal at the 14:11 mark in the first, followed by two goals by Conor Doyle and Nick Ossello. Both goals were assisted by freshman attackman Matt Kavanagh, who leads the Irish in total points and goals scored. Notre Dame scored five goals in a row at one point from late in the first through the second quarter. The Irish’s diverse scoring attack, which is 27th in the country, featured Ryan Mix, Jim Marlatt, and Kavanagh each scoring in the second.
Sean Rogers added two goals in the fourth quarter after both teams were held scoreless in the third. Rogers now has 10 goals on the year and recorded his fourth multi-goal game. The former Big East Offensive Player of the Week Kavanagh also scored his second goal of the game, his 11th total, to end the scoring blitz by the Irish. Five Notre Dame goal scorers had two or more points in the game dominated in total shots, 42-27. In fact, Notre Dame led in almost every major statistical category including ground balls, face offs, and saves.
Notre Dame’s defense only surrendered a goal in the first period and three in the fourth. Reegan Comeault scored two goals and the Buckeyes supplemented his offense with a goal apiece from David Planning and Jesse King. The Notre Dame defense of Stephen O’Hara, Senior CLASS Award candidate Matt Miller, Brian Buglione, and goalie John Kemp bottled up the Ohio State possessions for most of the game.
The Irish will next travel to New Jersey to face conference foe, Rutgers. This opens up Notre Dame’s BIG EAST competition and it should dictate how the Irish will match up against teams that make up the rest of the conference.
About In The Crease
- RT @CentralMorgan: Matt Landis of @NDLacrosse plays close D as @TheBigBadWolf31 presses the play at #SeatownClassic flic.kr/p/pJv9uY 7 hours ago
- RT @StringKingLax: @NDlacrosse chose #StringKing this fall. Starting to see a #trend here? #TheBestTrustStringKing #ConsistencyIsKing http:… 19 hours ago
- RT @CentralMorgan: The 15's, Cole Riccardi of @NDLacrosse and @pbaum15 of #USAMLAX at Saturday's #SeatownClassic flic.kr/p/pKRnmt 19 hours ago
- RT @GCSportsLax: Great stuff! RT @ConnorWilsonLAS: Seatown Classic: AWESOME recap + photos. @NDLacrosse V @USLacrosse http://t.co/cvgK97AZu… 19 hours ago
- RT @LacrosseMag: Gallery: #USAMLAX rally to edge @NDlacrosse in front of big crowd at Seatown Classic | laxmag.us/1rpQ5xR http://t.co/… 19 hours ago
- RT @LTorbin: Photos of me looking handy but dorky in here RT @NDWomensLax: Enjoyed the fresh air while swinging a hammer this AM https://t… 2 hours ago
- Enjoyed the fresh air while swinging a hammer at the habitat site this AM #protectthishouse… instagram.com/p/ueErFjyIOC/ 2 hours ago
- 11 days until we host our 5 vs. 5 Fall Fright Fest. Make sure you sign up today at atplacrosse.com! fb.me/7bRLnRX0a 2 hours ago
- 11 days until our 5 vs. 5 Fall Fright Fest. It's not too late to register at atplacrosse.com. #falllax #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- Installed walls w/ @SJCHabitat this morning! @NDCoachGeoff singlehandedly holding up the whole house @NotreDameSWD http://t.co/0cQyHPq2l0 7 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Earns Top Spot In 2014-15 ACC Preseason Women's Basketball Polls
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Visits #8 Indiana On Wednesday
- Football. Notre Dame and ACC Announce Future Football Games
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field