Mar 24, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
In their second Top 25 matchup of the season, the Irish exceeded their high level of competition with a 9-6 victory over nineteenth-ranked Rutgers after nine days without playing a game. Although the temperature was just above freezing, the Irish played outside in the frozen tundra of Arlotta Stadium amongst a number of bundled up fans. The seventh-ranked Irish earned their seventh win of the season while remaining undefeated behind eight saves by senior goalie Ellie Hilling. Hilling, while earning her seventh victory between the pipes this season, now has the most victories of any Notre Dame goalie, and she got plenty of help on the other end with multi-goal games from two attack players, Jenny Granger and Lindsay Powell.
Granger added two assists and head coach Christine Halfpenny tapped into her bench by deploying her high-octane offensive fresh legs in Kaitlyn Brosco, Stephanie Toy, and Lauren Sullivan. Grace Dooley and defender Barb Sullivan energized their teammates with quick clears while sprinting down the field and solid cradling ability against the Scarlet Knights. Dooley also added an assist for Notre Dame. The game played right into Notre Dame’s strengths, as the Irish were able to follow through on the fast tempo that Coach Halfpenny has stressed all season long. The Scarlet Knights were never able to get into a groove as they attempted to slow the game down and work their possessions with ball movement. Notre Dame kept the pressure on captain goalie Lily Kalata, who still managed to save ten of Notre Dame’s twenty-four shots.
Notre Dame took care of the ball nicely as Rutgers turned it over 25 times as opposed to the Irish’s 15. The Irish also had more ground ball pickups than Rutgers, who had trouble catching passes because of Notre Dame’s “sticks up” defense.
The Irish continue to climb up the national polls as the team has gotten off to the fourth fastest start in program history. Notre Dame next faces Villanova on March 24 looking to carry momentum into its next game against a conference foe.
About In The Crease
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- #NDday is 4/27, starting at 6:42pm ET - Download the official twitter icon and desktop wallpaper here - sot.ag/2BkbY 2 hours ago
- Irish Fall at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9 und.com/sports/w-lacro… fb.me/15MQ47cgD 15 hours ago
- Final score in Columbus, No. 13 Ohio State 12, No. 9 Notre Dame 9. Irish play host to No. 1 Syracuse Saturday at 3 for Senior Day. 19 hours ago
- Lauren Sullivan scores from Cortney Fortunato. The score is now 12-9 OSU with 1:07 to play. 19 hours ago
- Facchia scores from Dabrowski and OSU leads 12-8 with 3:44 left to play. 19 hours ago
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo
- W. Lacrosse. Molly Shawhan Selflessly Serves Society
- W. Basketball. McBride, Achonwa Selected In First Round Of 2014 WNBA Draft
- M. Basketball. Eric Atkins Nabs Notre Dame Monogram Club MVP Award
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Update: ACC Tournament Field Set
- Football. Irish Legends Charity Event Set For May 15