May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @Inside_Lacrosse: #USAMLax has announced the 24-man roster for the Seatown Classic vs. @NDlacrosse bit.ly/1plGZRQ http://t.co/J9… 22 minutes ago
- RT @Inside_Lacrosse: #TBT 04 #ILRecruitingIssue @ScottyRodg42 @NDlacrosse @MachineMLL insidelacrosse.com/article/throwb… http://t.co/HsMdCVliZe 17 hours ago
- Academics. Service. Alumni Networking. Facilities. International Trips. All part of NDLax Experience. C it in action youtube.com/playlist?list=… 17 hours ago
- Check latest gadget being used by ND Lax to develop strength in advance of 2015 Season youtu.be/tFCjQgqJvaQ?a 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/tFCjQgqJvaQ?a ND Strength: Speed Monitoring on Standing Press 1 day ago
- True teamwork. #teched #laxonlax @whereischarles? http://t.co/Id7Stlv8Aa 1 day ago
- Sneak peak of @LacrosseMag story on @NDCoachGeoff with #gymrats @caseyjoy24 & @SuperSteph28 #Strong #cheesinGeoff http://t.co/LxaVfC4O8l 1 day ago
- RT @NDFootball: Watch the behind the scenes footage of the @NavyLeapFrogs at #UnderTheLights vs Michigan watchnd.tv/#!/videos/dvaj… http://t.co… 1 day ago
- Sign up for our 5v5 clinic and tournament at ND on Sun, Nov. 2nd. atplacrosse.com #playlikeachampion #goirish 1 day ago
- Our team and coaching staff will be hosting a clinic in Towson, MD on September 27. Visit atplacrosse.com for all info #irish #laxon 1 day ago
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame-North Carolina Rivalry Revisited
- Cross Country. IRISH EXTRA: National Catholic Championships A Special Occasion For Large And Small Schools Alike
- M. Ice Hockey. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10