May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- RT @byrneirish: ND named 6th most beautiful college campus in the world & #1 in US insignia-lb.com/2013/01/24/the… 2 hours ago
- Happy Birthday to junior captain Barbara Sullivan #barbaranotbarb 11 hours ago
- Todays #TBT goes out to Twitter-less Daniel. #pale #rawr #ilybye #GoIrish http://t.co/Dq1ngxsBdf 18 hours ago
- April 27th support @NDWomensLax during #NDday! Give, vote recruit, repeat. Every gift matters. NotreDameDay.ND.edu http://t.co/KlIBkVIWjJ 18 hours ago
- RT @WatchND: Our #IrishInTheACC piece about @NDWomensLax ’s big win against Duke is one for the ages and cannot be missed: http://t.co/2JId… 18 hours ago
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- W. Swimming. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- Softball. Wester Named NFCA Freshman Of The Year Top 25 Finalist
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo