May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- C latest NDLaxTV Training Video from ND Coaching Staff, this 1 from Coach Byrne centers on Defensemen Stickhandling youtube.com/watch?v=KO4gie… 8 hours ago
- I favorited a @YouTube video from @ndlacrosse youtu.be/oQR7316NpHU?a 3 Days in Indy: 2013 NCAA Weekend 8 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/oQR7316NpHU?a 3 Days in Indy; 2013 NCAA Weekend 8 hours ago
- Another NDLaxTV training/skill video from @ndlacrosse staff, this one from Coach Byrne on defensive stick... fb.me/2DxdI2QkC 10 hours ago
- Sledding without Snow in The "Goog" Training center building hip strength and explosive speed fb.me/3vK6pejaB 10 hours ago
- RT @USOlympic: “Sport has the power to change the world…it has the power to inspire.” - #NelsonMandela, who gave us an example of triumph o… 12 hours ago
- RT @JonGordon11: Good leaders know how to lead. Great leaders know why they lead. They are driven by purpose 19 hours ago
- Dude where's my bike? #NDbikewars #finalshumor http://t.co/xAA5mE3Nzv 20 hours ago
- RT @SportsCenter: Former South African president Nelson Mandela, who helped seal bid for 2010 World Cup, has died at the age of 95 » http:/… 1 day ago
- RT @JonGordon11: Encourage the people you encounter during your day and you'll create an amazing life. 1 day ago
- M. Basketball. Irish to Open Gotham Classic at Home vs. Delaware
- W. Tennis. Doing It All
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Adds Five During Early-Signing Period
- Track. Track And Field Heads To ACC With Conference And National Goals In Mind
- W. Swimming. Irish Close Out Fall At Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Track and Field Kick Off Seasons With Blue & Gold Invitational This Weekend
- Fencing. TBT: On Throw Back Thursday, What To Be Thankful For
- M. Soccer. Irish And Spartans To Battle For College Cup Bid
- M. Ice Hockey. Crashing The Crease
- M. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Fall Schedule At Hawkeye Invitational