May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Our favorite group costume - Brad and Sam Kneibel as movie concession workers and baby Leah as popcorn… instagram.com/p/u0tljHyIB2/ 1 hour ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Never too early for some stats with Professor Huynh from @NDBusiness and Caroline from @NDWomensLax #KBTwtterTakeover http:… 3 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachGeoff: Success of a team falls upon the quality of athlete and environment created by a skilled coaching staff - no individual s… 16 hours ago
- Life stages #seniors #winners #ndwlaxcostumecontest instagram.com/p/uy9u6zSIHr/ 18 hours ago
- Juniors being junior things #ndwlaxcostumecontest instagram.com/p/uy9rmmyIHm/ 18 hours ago
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Update: Crunching The Numbers From Virginia
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish Picked Seventh In ACC Preseason Poll