May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
- RT @evolvelax2005: @evolvelax ..."Much can be accomplished by teamwork when no one is concerned who gets credit"..on the wall in @NDlacross… 15 hours ago
- RT @justglaze: @Chargers legend @DougFlutie with myself and other @NDlacrosse "San Diegoans" @ChrisCarter_16 and Kyle Runyon http://t.co/W4… 1 day ago
- Great Veteran's Day/WOD Event & Workout w/students, ROTC & guests @teamRWB 1 day ago
- Stunning view of campus. instagram.com/p/vq01PlHREj/ 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/byvPyc5_rDY?a ND Strength: Footwork Fundamentals 1 day ago
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes
- Football. Irish Fall to Louisville, 31-28
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Clash With #5 Texas A&M In NCAA Championship Third Round Sunday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Face Holy Cross Sunday In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish 29th At NCAA Championships, Add All-American To Ranks