Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
After reaching the NCAA semifinals in 2012, the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team once again has high expectations as it prepares for the 2013 season.
On Tuesday, the Fighting Irish were selected as the preseason favorite to win the BIG EAST conference. Notre Dame received five first-place votes and was chosen ahead of Syracuse (two first-place votes) and St. John’s, the squad that knocked the Irish out of last year’s BIG EAST tournament.
Led by senior goalie and 2012 Tewaaraton Award nominee John Kemp, five Irish players were chosen for the All-BIG EAST Preseason Team. Rounding out the group are junior midfielder Jim Marlatt, senior defenseman Matt Miller, senior attack Sean Rogers and junior attack Westy Hopkins.
The hopeful journey to Philadelphia (the site of this year’s Final Four) begins on Saturday in the Champion Challenge at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida. Notre Dame will face the U.S. National Team (10 am) and Jacksonville University (5 pm) in a pair of scrimmages.
The regular season kicks off on Feb. 16 at Duke, the team the Irish upset in last year’s opener.
In addition to games against the six other BIG EAST programs, the 2013 slate includes contests at Penn State and Denver, home versus North Carolina, Hofstra and Ohio State, and in Chicago against Marquette, who will be playing its inaugural season.
Four games will be featured on ESPN networks, beginning March 16 at Denver (ESPN3). ESPNU will carry the BIG EAST match-ups against Georgetown (April 14) and Villanova (April 20) at Arlotta Stadium.
Finally, ESPNU will also broadcast the Big City Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., featuring Notre Dame and Syracuse on April 27.
About In The Crease
- RT @MikeFranz8: @NDlacrosse #NoDaysOff http://t.co/UYeekjV7hi 12 hours ago
- First session of the fall #NDLXP http://t.co/E1bbdEED7T 13 hours ago
- I posted 13 photos on Facebook in the album "#NDGearTour" fb.me/7R5WouAG6 17 hours ago
- Big weekend on campus. Here's the Golden Dome, Touchdown Jesus and, of course, our cleats. #NDGearTour #BeatTexas http://t.co/GOAQAazj7c 18 hours ago
- Luv having alums stop by office. R first 1st Team All American, Tom Glatzel from Boy's Latin w/@CoachKarweckND http://t.co/elkKygy3Xx 19 hours ago
- RT @gamedayND: It's a #FootballFriday night #tradition! Head to the steps of the Dome just before midnight to catch #DrummersCircle http://… 11 hours ago
- RT @MRBastedo: @NDWomensLax God I love you @hanHARTsU 13 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: #IrishStrong as far as the eye can see. #Team127 http://t.co/dm506pqY8e 13 hours ago
- She makes it look so easy! @thisisbarbie #WOI #blue #bookstoreball http://t.co/FmQgbPxFAe 13 hours ago
- #gold running @NDFootball tunnel🍀 #WOI #GoIrish http://t.co/iquJHO5zXN 13 hours ago
- Cross Country. Irish Claim Runner-Up Honors at the 2015 Crusader Open
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Blank #24 USF In Berticelli Opener
- W. Volleyball. Pirates Sweep Irish 3-0 In Friday Volleyball Action
- W. Soccer. No. 6/4 Notre Dame Draws With Western Michigan, 2-2
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball On Road At Seton Hall
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers