Jan 23, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
After reaching the NCAA semifinals in 2012, the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team once again has high expectations as it prepares for the 2013 season.
On Tuesday, the Fighting Irish were selected as the preseason favorite to win the BIG EAST conference. Notre Dame received five first-place votes and was chosen ahead of Syracuse (two first-place votes) and St. John’s, the squad that knocked the Irish out of last year’s BIG EAST tournament.
Led by senior goalie and 2012 Tewaaraton Award nominee John Kemp, five Irish players were chosen for the All-BIG EAST Preseason Team. Rounding out the group are junior midfielder Jim Marlatt, senior defenseman Matt Miller, senior attack Sean Rogers and junior attack Westy Hopkins.
The hopeful journey to Philadelphia (the site of this year’s Final Four) begins on Saturday in the Champion Challenge at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Florida. Notre Dame will face the U.S. National Team (10 am) and Jacksonville University (5 pm) in a pair of scrimmages.
The regular season kicks off on Feb. 16 at Duke, the team the Irish upset in last year’s opener.
In addition to games against the six other BIG EAST programs, the 2013 slate includes contests at Penn State and Denver, home versus North Carolina, Hofstra and Ohio State, and in Chicago against Marquette, who will be playing its inaugural season.
Four games will be featured on ESPN networks, beginning March 16 at Denver (ESPN3). ESPNU will carry the BIG EAST match-ups against Georgetown (April 14) and Villanova (April 20) at Arlotta Stadium.
Finally, ESPNU will also broadcast the Big City Classic in East Rutherford, N.J., featuring Notre Dame and Syracuse on April 27.
About In The Crease
- Watch 4 ND Grads Compete for MLL Championship This Weekend und.com/sports/m-lacro… fb.me/CwQfgoKH 12 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Sophomore Tommy McNamara spent the summer on campus taking 2 Summer Session Classes & training for upcoming sea… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Notre Dame, our Mother. It's Welcome Weekend! ☘️ #PhotoFriday https://t.co/JPIhXqAewI 18 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Soph Charlie Leonard spent the summer training on campus & prepping for rigors of Mendoza College by taking 2 S… 1 day ago
- Be sure to check out our alums in the @MLL_Lacrosse Championship Game this weekend https://t.co/cBGOCMV8rG 1 day ago
- RT @Tewaaraton: GREAT news. Big step! Here's to the #laxemoji officially going through and being available everywhere! https://t.co/ydgbxxb… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game day.… 1 day ago
- RT @NDAlumni: Introducing IrishCompass, Notre Dame's official networking and mentoring online community for alumni and students: https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @KRPowell10: This view never gets old. #officeview #lovetheeND #GoldenDome #TouchdownJesus #herecomes2017 ☘️@NDWomensLax https://t.co/0U… 2 days ago
- 🌍 STUDY ABROAD 🌍 Check out the highlights of the women's lacrosse student-athletes' study abroad adventures this... fb.me/1tatXg8tQ 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship