Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @FightingIrish: 😎☘️ #FirstDayOfSummer #GoIrish https://t.co/dFx5PZilJS 27 minutes ago
- A beautiful castle, an amazing aqueduct and a timeless cathedral. Our last day of #NDLaxSpain in Segovia had it all! https://t.co/bRg203EzJK 29 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏠 #GoIrish https://t.co/wQIJPLmhSK 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇪🇸☘️ @NDLacrosse caught #WorldCup fever early when they visited @realmadrid, the home of 6️⃣ World Cup participants! #N… 13 hours ago
- Have you loved watching Ronaldo dominate this World Cup? We took a tour of his home, the legendary Santiago Bernab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Congrats to incoming freshman Madison Mote who was selected to tryout for the USA U19 Team!! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/USLacrosse/sta… 17 hours ago
- Join us in wishing Irish alumna Kelly (McCardell) Van Zile a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/LcctcKhvro 1 day ago
- Jumping for joy that camp is around the corner💃! Limited spots left so 👇click the link and SIGN UP TODAY☘️!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @ndwbb: Our #NDFamily is a remarkable one. ☘️ @MuffetMcGraw opened her house to all of our support staff, volunteers, family, and frie… 2 days ago
- Up next for Making Moves Monday is junior Kelly Donnelly!! Donnelly is in Eden Prairie, MN this summer working as a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
- W. Basketball. Lili Thompson Drafted by Harlem Globetrotters
- Track & Field. Nuguse Wins 1500m at USATF Junior Outdoor Championships
- Baseball. Unspoken Bond: Daily & Podkul Connect At Notre Dame
- M. Tennis. Andrews Named Irish Assistant Coach
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin Resigns from Volleyball Post Due to Health Reasons
- Baseball. Vierling & Podkul Named All-Region