Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @NDLaxTips: Save The Date: NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic Jan. 28-29 Join 300+ fellow HS, Youth/Travel/Club Coaches for 2 days of fil… 8 hours ago
- Record crowd yesterday 4 Blue/Gold Scrimmages, 400+ fans, parents, alums at Arlotta Stadium. The final contest will… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 9 hours ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Defensive Drills periscope.tv/w/arUxizFNV0V3… 1 day ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Blue/Gold Scrimmage Warmups periscope.tv/w/arUtXjFNV0V3… 1 day ago
- RT @LFRVineRepost24: Nick Koshansky dodges in transition, draws a slide & finds Hugh Crance inside for a @NDLacrosse goal https://t.co/icn9… 1 day ago
- RT @LTorbin: Once with @NDWomensLax, always with @NDWomensLax. SID alum & playing alum @thisisbarbie (now working with @GoIrish) up in the… 1 day ago
- RT @NotreDame: Rise and shine! It's Game Day! https://t.co/mzY7JaC5MR 1 day ago
- RT @ProudtobeND: #GoIrish https://t.co/MBwykTeJH9 1 day ago
- Who doesn't want to end the day with #800's? #weWill #AllIrish #fast #aggressive #passionate #together☘️ https://t.co/2Xi2Pxek3V 2 days ago
- The many faces of a photo shoot with @CortFort15 📸 https://t.co/L1a2f14Ybg 2 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Blows by Hurricanes in Straight-Set Win
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Look Themselves in Mirror
- Football. VanGorder Relieved of Duties; Hudson Assumes Responsibilities
- Football. Notre Dame-Duke 2016: What the Irish Learned
- M. Golf. Irish Battle at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Eighth After Two Rounds At The Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Pittsburgh
- Football. Late Field Goal Upends Irish
- M. Golf. Barens' Eagle Boosts Irish First Round
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Sting #2 Orange 2-1 On Late Gallagher Tally