Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- Thank You Fans of NDLax IG, believe we are the only D1 Lax account with 30K Followers instagram.com/p/BBjLGQ3nRJQ/ 8 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Check out the menu for @NDlacrosse Training Table as we enter final week of pre-season prior to G'town Game Week http… 10 hours ago
- RT @CentralMorgan: There’s an elegance to a long-stick middie shot. @Srat2 goes up for a shot against @NDlacrosse #lacrosse https://t.co/Vh… 10 hours ago
- RT @LacrosseHub_: Bobby Gray winds up to put another point on the board for Notre Dame. Final score, @AtlantaBlaze 8 - 8 @NDlacrosse. https… 10 hours ago
- RT @NotreDameSWD: Wondering about the menu this week at training table... ndswd.com/menu/ https://t.co/KveOcfHubX 12 hours ago
- RT @1001RecruitTips: #PARENTS: Help eliminate pressure by stop asking "Why aren't you playing yet?" and badmouthing child's coach - Greatne… 1 day ago
- RT @SportsCenter: Sweet victory. #PhotoOfTheNight https://t.co/vzxnTg8J3k 1 day ago
- The #7 Irish earned a particularly sweet win today at Jacksonville, 18-5. und.com/sports/w-lacro… https://t.co/b8oPrUNwVs 2 days ago
- RT @MannyPack26: Best way to celebrate our win is by cheering on @NDmbb w/the whole squad at dinner!! #irishon3 🍀 @NDWomensLax https://t.co… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🍀 @NDWomensLax Tradition... 18 Goals = Post Game Ice Cream 🍦 #DoubleWin https://t.co/QzzTnmDqIo 2 days ago
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83.
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- Softball. The Top 10: Conference History
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Rally Past #13 Louisville, 66-61
- Fencing. No. 2 Irish Women Remain Undefeated At Duke Duals
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Snare Doubleheader Wins over No. 53 Indiana, Ball State