Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @LaxFilmRoom: Nice check by @NDlacrosse LSM John Sexton to put the ball on the ground https://t.co/i7Ot7Qxs2H 5 hours ago
- RT @USILA_Lax: Here's a look at our week 2 release of the USILA/NIKE Div. I Coaches Poll ... usila.org/sports/2017/2/… https://t.co/WCQ6Ks7… 14 hours ago
- Meet Mike Farnish. Another #PhillyTuff Defenseman. All State. All American. https://t.co/kh0yj7HXKa 16 hours ago
- RT @NCAA_Lax: There's a tie atop the #ncaaLAX media poll! t1. @DU_MLAX/@TerpsMLax 3. @UNCMensLacrosse 4. @jhumenslacrosse 5-25: https://t… 17 hours ago
- RT @18stripes: In the opener yesterday @NDlacrosse took down Georgetown in the Longhorn State. 18stripes.com/mens-lacrosse-… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️@NDWomensLax's Special Win Notre Dame downs Michigan 12-5 in Coach Halfpenny's 100th game at ND. 👀@NDcoachPenny http… 1 day ago
- Check out a few of our favorite shots from yesterday's 12-5 victory over Michigan! ☘️📸 https://t.co/XAa9HKcPX4 1 day ago
- Giacolone collected a season-high 12 saves in Notre Dame's 12-5 victory at Michigan ☘️ ↘️RECAP: und.com/sports/w-lacro… 2 days ago
- Soaking up the 65-degree weather in February! #Irishwin ☘️😎 https://t.co/APKWgkNASG 2 days ago
- ☘️IRISH WIN!☘️ https://t.co/8JTD8wEEar 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Nelson Returning For Fifth Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored, Irish Move Up In Rankings
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Claims ACC Player of the Week
- Track. Into Focus: Rachel DaDamio
- W. Basketball. Late Irish Rally Spurs Victory Over Orange
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Win Third Straight With 5-2 Victory Over Louisville
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Check Opening Day Boxes
- Softball. #11/10 Michigan Defeats Irish 9-2