Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- Good workout at the Linc. Ready for tomorrow. #OnePercentBetter http://t.co/h2kVdWY1Iy 56 minutes ago
- On the field at the Linc. Working to be #OnePercentBetter http://t.co/mLGJdtoN6R 1 hour ago
- RT @MaverikLacrosse: #GoIRISH! @NDLacrosse & their NEW #RomeRX3 Gloves. @CascadeLacrosse http://t.co/ZId9IfIavM 2 hours ago
- The stage is set for @NCAA_Lax championship weekend, our fourth in six years. #GoIrish http://t.co/jTWurKPO3N 2 hours ago
- RT @MDRoughRiders: “@BKHoCoSports: @NDlacrosse is playing in Final 4 this weekend with 3 HoCo guys in big roles. bsun.md/1FrbLE6 " #… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: Wishing a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to @RobMKelly 🎉🎂 An incredible Sport Administrator for @NDWomensLax 21 hours ago
- In one week our team will be reunited for ten days when we travel to Italy and the French Riviera #ndwlaxitaly http://t.co/Ek1Ba6H9Je 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: THE IRISH ARE ALL-AMERICA. @NDWomensLax All🇺🇸 Honors Fortunato (1st team) Sullivan (1st) Dalton (2nd) Pearsall (3rd) ht… 3 days ago
- RT @ObserverSports: Four @NDWomensLax players named @IWLCA All-Americans: Sullivan (1st team), Fortunato (1st), Dalton (2nd), Pearsall (3rd) 3 days ago
- For just the second time, we have FOUR All-Americans! Congrats Cort, Barbara, Alex and Casey! und.com/sports/w-lacro… http://t.co/5QdO2wuBAC 3 days ago
- W. Rowing. Irish Alumna Bruggeman Qualifies For Pan Am Games
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Another Notre Dame Men's Lax First -- Consecutive NCAA Final Fours
- M. Lacrosse. Seven Irish Players Cop USILA All-America Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Falls In NCAA Doubles Championship
- Baseball. Wolfpack Pitching Shuts Down Irish In ACC Opener
- M. Tennis. Irish Trio Advance to Round of 16 At NCAA Singles & Doubles Championships
- W. Soccer. Top Contests Comprise 2015 Irish Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Tennis. Monaghan On To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Landis Named Lacrosse Magazine Player of the Week
- Baseball. Irish Set To Compete In First ACC Tournament