Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @FCA_MD_Lax: Shout out to FCA (MD) Huddle Leader Bryan Costabile @NDlacrosse for being named to the USILA Team of the Week after his car… 7 hours ago
- RT @mittenstatelax: #Repost @millerphotography9 ・・・ Stuck in the slowest drive thru line EVER, wishing I could put on the brakes and turn a… 15 hours ago
- With Maryland game now on BTN it is a clean sweep of regular season games on TV for our fans. #NDLXP https://t.co/YW1AW4QKop 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Friday ➡️ Our 🏠 Sunday ➡️ Their 🏠 No. 1 @NDHockey takes on No. 18 Michigan, starting with Friday's 7:35 p.m. ET home ga… 2 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: Injury updates from @NDMikeBrey - @TheRealDJHarvey full participation in practice next two days, heading toward being able to… 2 days ago
- A strong effort on both sides of the field leads to a 17-6 win for the Irish! Catch up with all the action from tod… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- FINAL: Irish 17, Dolphins 6 Notre Dame dominates from start to finish en route to their first win of the season!!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Jacksonville goal from Kasey Stevens. 15-6 Irish with 2:15 left in the game. 14 hours ago
- Maddie Howe scores her second of the afternoon off the assist from Haley Schultz!! 15-5 Irish with 4:01 left!!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Jessi Masinko adds her second goal of the game!! Irish lead 14-5 with 4:48 left in the second half!! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MYqy7nijZB 14 hours ago
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Women Finish 5th At ACC Championships
- Baseball. Big Inning Sends Irish Past No. 9 LSU
- Fencing. Sunday Brunch: Russo's Multiple Title Chases Begin
- Track & Field. Irish Break Men's Distance Medley Relay School Record in Final Home Meet
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Historic Day Leads Irish In Win Over Boston College
- Softball. #RV Irish Score Hard-Fought 6-5 Win Over #14 Minnesota
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Irish cruise by Dolphins, 17-6
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Decision To No. 11 Florida
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish to Play Last Regular Season Road Contest This Sunday at Boston College
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season-Opening Heartbreaker At No. 9 LSU