Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @OneFootDown: It's the ACC Tournament! #3 @NDlacrosse plays in the semi-final v. Duke tomorrow (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU). Our preview: https… 11 hours ago
- RT @CoachMotto: No one is bigger than the team. If you can't do things our way, you're not getting time here and we don't care who you are!… 12 hours ago
- These are dirty. lacrossedotcom's photo instagram.com/p/BEo3qCnGffy/ 14 hours ago
- RT @ACCMLax: The #ACCMLAX Championship begins tomorrow! Not sure where to watch? Click here to find out: theacc.co/mlaxchamp 14 hours ago
- RT @Stylin_Strings: Proud to string for @ndlacrosse who play in @duke_mlax in the #accchampionship2016 ift.tt/1WVdmM7 https://t.co… 14 hours ago
- Only half of the game because we had to move inside due to lightning but it was the better half of our 12-10 win. twitter.com/WatchND/status… 5 hours ago
- Three hours and 28 minutes after it began in a different venue, the Irish advance to the ACC semifinals! #ACCWLAX https://t.co/BwiehScHD6 6 hours ago
- The Irish have the ball and will go a man-up after a Courtney Boyd yellow card with 2:22 left in the game. 6 hours ago
- Louisville has called it's final time out. It will be a 3:34 sprint to the finish with Notre Dame on top 12-10. 6 hours ago
- Hannah Koloski gets a man-up goal for Louisville from Jillian Balog with 3:34 to go. Irish leading 12-10. 6 hours ago
- Football. Will Fuller Selected No. 21 Overall by the Houston Texans
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Advance to ACC Semifinals With 12-10 Win Over Louisville
- Football. Ronnie Stanley Selected No. 6 Overall by the Baltimore Ravens
- M. Ice Hockey. Hinostroza Added to 2016 U.S. Men's National Team Roster
- W. Tennis. One Team, One Fight
- M. Tennis. Monaghan, Hagar Snare All-ACC Honors
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Rematch with Duke Keeps Wheels Turning
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- General News. 2016 Notre Dame O.S.C.A.R.S. -- A Celebration of Excellence