Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- 3 Days in NYC... 20+ Job Shadows Dozens of Interviews 100+ Alumni/Reception 1 Beautiful Skyline Connecting former… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 18 hours ago
- RT @ndgradcareers: GCS is located in the #goldendome. Yesterday's gorgeous weather led to these amazing views on our way to work. #TBT @Not… 1 day ago
- RT @UALacrosse: Winners never quit. Matt Landis won't stop. #CommandEveryMoment https://t.co/ykvP0dh7Wk 1 day ago
- Thank You. @jpmorgan @SNYtv @Shazam @NBA @nbc @YankeesPR @IBMWatson @JLL @CreditSuisse @MorganStanley… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- The Strength of ND Lacrosse @NDAlumni @NDMCNetwork @NDMonogram https://t.co/q5Wauq8xFk 2 days ago
- Countdown to Alumni Weekend: EIGHT DAYS! #NDWLAXalumni https://t.co/jw1oxDb8QJ 1 day ago
- RT @BleacherReport: .@NDFootball loses roughly 71.8 gallons of sweat per day. The grind never stops #BRxND https://t.co/V38FseGlZl 2 days ago
- Countdown to Alumni Weekend: NINE DAYS! #NDWLAXalumni https://t.co/FWnrg1YtsY 2 days ago
- Join us in congratulating '06 graduate Crysti Foote on her selection to the Canadian World Cup training team! https://t.co/qBJsqefXSo 3 days ago
- ALUMNI WEEKEND COUNTDOWN: 10 days! #NDWLAXalumni 🍀 https://t.co/2xJJECMYkY 3 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
- Swimming & Diving. No.14 Fighting Irish Stay Undefeated in Season Beating No.22 Georgia Tech in First Dual ACC Meet
- W. Rowing. Club Four Claims Third At Head of the Charles
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Leads #3/4 Irish To Comeback Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for Fighting Irish in Day 1 of Dual Meet Against No. 22 Georgia Tech
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish End Road Trip With 2-1 Defeat In Double Overtime At Duke
- M. Tennis. Irish Impress In First Rounds Of ITA Regional Play
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Pitt in Strong Performance on the Road
- W. Tennis. Irish Stand Tall At ITA And IU Regionals