Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- Game Highlights from the ESPNU Instant Classic of our win over #2 Syracuse... fb.me/6oaFmKYC0 5 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/W7WW9hPyEes?a MLAX vs Syracuse Highlights 5 hours ago
- Jack Near with the Game Winning Goal, SportsCenter Top Ten (chosen as #2)... fb.me/4qh9aKfEf 5 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/VmLKHVLkqL0?a #2 Notre Dame Stuns #1 Syracuse With OT Game-Winner | ACC Must See 5 hours ago
- RT @TJamesNDI: .@NDlacrosse beat No. 1 Syracuse yesterday and #NDInsider was there. Story in today's @SBTribune: goo.gl/pKXHz6 5 hours ago
- The Irish battled hard but No. 3 UNC came away with a 9-8 win at Arlotta Stadium. 14 hours ago
- UNC goes back on top as Brittney Coppa scores from Molly Hendrick to make it 9-8 with 3:55 to play. 14 hours ago
- Drama at Arlotta!!! Once down, 7-1, Notre Dame ties up No. 3 UNC, 8-8 as Rachel Sexton scores on a free position. 5:08 to go in the game... 14 hours ago
- Irish call timeout with an offensive possession an 6:30 left to play. No. 3 UNC leads 8-7. Irish are outshooting the Heels 29-17 today. 14 hours ago
- Time out for @ESPN3 with 9:53 to play. No. 3 UNC leads No. 17 Notre Dame, 8-7. Irish have the ball. Good time to tune in online. 14 hours ago
- W. Basketball. Baylor vs. Notre Dame Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Beats Baylor, Advances to 5th Straight Final Four
- W. Lacrosse. No. 17 Notre Dame Clipped By No. 3 UNC 9-8
- M. Basketball. Commentary: A Shiny Time for Irish Men's Hoops Program
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Finishes Eighth At LSU Tiger Classic
- Baseball. No. 12 Cavaliers Complete Sweep Of Irish Sunday Afternoon
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Notre Dame Overcomes Deficit To Clip No. 32 Florida State, 4-3
- W. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (1) #2 Notre Dame vs. (2) #5/6 Baylor
- Softball. #RV Irish Run Victory Streak To Nine With Sunday Wins Over #24 Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Sweep Marquette, 7-0