Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- #1 vs. #3 https://t.co/Pr9OrNYc5e 2 hours ago
- LIVE on #Periscope: Midweek Swole Session periscope.tv/w/a6rb5TFNV0V3… 18 hours ago
- RT @emacSNY: Can't wait to work with @paulcarcaterra again at the @citylaxnyc Gala on 4/25 Get your tix now app.etapestry.com/hosted/CityLax… #growt… 1 day ago
- RT @CMALacrosse: Pleased to announce the 2017 captains: Ryan Hallenback, Matt Schmit, Jackson Reid, and Wheaton Jackoboice. https://t.co/bV… 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/SZEAQVWKIoo?a Notre Dame vs Ohio State Lacrosse 2017 Highlights 1 day ago
- 📂@sammijacks File 🔹two-time @ACCWLax Defensive Player of the Week 🔹@IWLCA National Player of the Week ↘️ MORE: und.com/sports/w-lacro… 55 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDWomensLax goalie Samantha Giacolone earns national honor after making 13 saves in win vs… 4 hours ago
- RT @BrianPracht: Join @NDWomensLax Sun. vs UNC; Daughters for Dads game benefitting Harper Cancer Research Inst. @stjoemed to donate $25 fo… 15 hours ago
- 💥SAMMI JACKS!💥 Giacolone has been named @IWLCA National Player of the Week after making 13 saves Sunday! ➡️MORE:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: 👏🏻CONGRATS ☘️@sammijacks is the @ACCWLax Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season! ➡️ MORE: https://… 22 hours ago
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Prepared for Annual Daughters for Dads Campaign
- M. Soccer. Tickets Available For Mexico Doubleheader, 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. Tickets Available For Mexico Doubleheader, 2017 Season
- M. Basketball. Vasturia In Phoenix For Reese's All-Star Game
- Softball. Irish Pitchers Shine In 1-0 Triumph Vs. EMU
- W. Lacrosse. Giacolone Garners National Player of the Week Honor
- Track. Irish Prepared for Split-Squad Competition
- W. Golf. Irish Await Elite Field at Bryan National Collegiate
- W. Basketball. Turner's All-America Honors Continue
- M. Basketball. Colson Nabs AP All-America Accolade