Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @TheLaxVines: Step. Down. Check it: sdel.in/sniperlax vine.co/v/iuOb9le92LE 3 hours ago
- 173 years ago this guy founded the University of Notre Dame du Lac. #fathersorin instagram.com/p/-kaZ2AnRHc/ 3 hours ago
- "Thankfulness creates gratitude which generates contentment that causes peace." -Todd Stocker Happy Thanksgiving from the ND Family 3 hours ago
- RT @PureIntensityBB: Playing time is not about what you think you deserve, it's about what you earn practice by practice, game by game. 4 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: Happy Thanksgiving from Notre Dame! https://t.co/Ri0h93fpv5 4 hours ago
- 3.1 miles up the mountain and now we are ready to eat. #PowellFamilyRun #staffteamgreen #KYhome #gobblegobble https://t.co/Y39d2bqsMf 8 hours ago
- After a little morning lacrosse #teamblue #nowturkeytime #BlueTurkeyTrot https://t.co/C2rgZ6O4hK 9 hours ago
- #forgotoursignteamgreen #turkeyisready #thankfulforourfavoriteladies https://t.co/cPtl3suKPA 9 hours ago
- Couldn't have been happier doing this go Gold team! #GoldTurkeyTrot https://t.co/HL1PKCvQ6U 10 hours ago
- EC took a nice turkey trot through country roads of rural Nebraska this morning, happy turkey day #GoldTurkeyTrot https://t.co/Ptm9DSsQZt 10 hours ago
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Falls At Syracuse In Four Sets
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Morningstar Honored By ACC
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford 2015 Preview: No Question on Irish Stakes This Week
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish To Host The Sixth Installment of the Shillelagh Tournament
- Softball. January Softball Instructional Sessions To Be Offered
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Looks To Build Towards 2016 During Final Weekend
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. Brian Kelly Weekly Media Conference Transcript - vs. Stanford
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday