Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @NDBusiness: What's it like to study business at @NotreDame? Senior Ben Fouchs on courses and careers valuepenguin.com/2016/universit… https://t.… 23 hours ago
- RT @NDAlumni: The Grotto is beautiful year-round. Meet the caretakers who keep it that way: ntrda.me/29VlqtR. https://t.co/HWSJKmeWr2 1 day ago
- Highlighting the Top 12 Moments from 2016 Season: Spring Break in So. Cal: Defeat of Maryland, Training on... fb.me/3ZPk4jGnJ 1 day ago
- The Beauty of the Notre Dame Campus captured by Photograhee @MattCashore instagram.com/p/BIYQKtSgscD/ 1 day ago
- RT @joekeegs: Lots of first-year players contributing for contenders—who's the Most Valuable Rookie? | laxmag.us/2a8QAl5 https://t.co… 2 days ago
- Honored to work w/ @stjoemed on our Daughters for Dads game in March & raise over $20k for ND's Harper Cancer Center https://t.co/2aQuEVuOLJ 1 day ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: That's a wrap! Great week of @NDWomensLax Elite Camp! Great campers, great counselors, great coaches! #laxon 👊🏼💥🍀 3 weeks ago
- RT @NotreDame: In a blink and you missed it moment, the @BlueAngels just flew over campus. #NDMoments https://t.co/fFSkhP4Ekf 3 weeks ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 We'd like to salute all of those who have fought for our independence. Happy Fourth of July! https://t.co/IjlIFtPYmu 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Today marks day 1 of year 3 with @UnderArmour. 2 yrs in the 📚✔️ Time flies when you're having fun! #TeamUA https://t.c… 4 weeks ago
- M. Basketball. Jackson Inks Multi Million Dollar Deal With Boston
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Honored With GCAA Team Academic Award
- W. Rowing. Onto World Championships For Gleadow, Team Canada
- W. Rowing. Rowers Earn Team USA Spots
- M. Golf. Barens Qualifies For U.S. Amateur Championship
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Event Coming Up For Men's Basketball
- Softball. Winter Returns, NPF Debuts At Melissa Cook Stadium In August
- M. Basketball. Pro Hoops Alumni Recap
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster