Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @LFRVineRepost24: Doyle out of the box leads to confusion over who has Perkovic & a @NDLacrosse goal vine.co/v/ea5iu55eOx6 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #9 - @NDlacrosse beat top-ranked Maryland and rose to #1 in the national rankings. http… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Sr. Will Young joined the Acquisition Team at Mitsui Fudosan in NYC for the summer applying his Mendoza College… 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK Garrett Epple is the 4th @NDlacrosse grad invited to the 2018 U.S. National Team tryouts. Presente… 2 days ago
- RT @BostonCannons: MILESTONE: 1st game, 1st shot, 1st goal! 1st of many for @SergPerkovic 👊🏻 https://t.co/ODytCmxrBY 2 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ Father and Daughter. 💪 Coach and Athlete. Sam Giacolone's dad helped her become @NDWomensLax's dynamic goalie. https:… 2 days ago
- Happy Father's Day to all of our dads! We love you! #DearDadND 💚 https://t.co/jP3VOd8QpL 4 days ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: @NDWomensLax @sammijacks Fantastic feature on a special bond! Happy Father's Days to ALL of our Irish Dads!! 👨👧👍🏼❤🍀 4 days ago
- Father. Friend. Coach. @sammijacks surely has a "best friend" in her father. 💚 https://t.co/r0cBW7te3T 5 days ago
- The Irish make recruiting stops in New Jersey and Richmond this weekend. #fiNDingfuture☘️ #summerlax https://t.co/M3vdha2itO 5 days ago
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Earns Five National Awards
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
- Track & Field. Father’s Day: Running In The Aragon Family
- W. Tennis. Thompson Tapped To Lead Gophers As Head Coach