Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @nytimes: Hesburgh, Former Notre Dame President, Dies at 97 nyti.ms/1Dgt072 3 hours ago
- Saturday. fb.me/4VdpZrxon 3 hours ago
- Saturday. Dartmouth. Loftus Indoor Center. instagram.com/p/zmwN6PHRED/ 3 hours ago
- Four ND Lacrosse Student-Athletes (All were Pre-Season All Americans as well) were selected to the Tewaaraton... fb.me/77xiCfLUm 12 hours ago
- RT @Inside_Lacrosse: The @Tewaaraton presented by @UALacrosse Watch Lists: Men: bit.ly/1DwqQml Women: bit.ly/1DXODgk http… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Every detail matters! Here's a cool look at conference logos and american flags being added to @NDWomensLax uni's. http… 13 hours ago
- RT @LTorbin: Fun photo shoot with @NDWomensLax All-American @thisisbarbie and photo All-American @mattcashore for @LacrosseMag http://t.co/… 13 hours ago
- Congrats to Cortney Fortunato & Barbara Sullivan who were named to the Tewaaraton watch list. und.com/sports/w-lacro… http://t.co/MOWLx4eISa 13 hours ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: I voted for @NDwomensLax's Rachel Sexton for the @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #SextonSA… 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: .@Tire_Rack #SAotW nom @NDwomensLax's Rachel Sexton: 7 goals and an assist vs Cal & Stanford- ntrda.me/SAotW htt… 3 days ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Welcomes No. 9/10 BC For Weekend Series
- Baseball. Irish Head To Peach State For Final Non-Conference Tune-Up
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #4 Notre Dame 87, Pittsburgh 59
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Senior Leadership Helps Keep Irish Train on Track
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato and Sullivan Named to Tewaaraton Award Watch List
- Track. Irish Complete Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Top Pittsburgh, 87-59, To Clinch Share of ACC Title
- M. Swimming. Irish Finish Day Two of ACC Championships, Earn Several NCAA B Cuts
- M. Basketball. An Evening With Notre Dame Basketball Set For April 13