Jan 31, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
As he prepares for his first season as an assistant coach with the Fighting Irish, 2006 graduate and four-year monogram winner Matt Karweck checks into the In The Crease blog with a post about one of the team’s recent events.
Burgers on a George Foreman, Ramen noodles, Dairy Queen, and a healthy dose of Little C’s pizza…like many uninformed off-campus college students, these types of food made up most of my meals back in 2006. Fortunately, we’ve found another way…
Continuing the personal and professional development of the Notre Dame Lacrosse student-athletes, Coach Corrigan has focused on Nutrition and smart decision-making when fueling our players’ bodies. In addition to a Nutritionist and Training Table, Coach Corrigan enlisted Chef Charlie Baggs from Chicago to give our off-campus players a reason to skip the drive-thru and enjoy healthier and affordable food options.
In a segment we are calling “Iron Chef ND Lacrosse,” led by seniors Quinn Cully, Andy Will, Ryan Foley, and Ty Andersen, four teams of three players gathered at Martin’s Supermarket. Chef Baggs distributed recipes to each group and provided helpful hints about finding the most nutritional items in the market. After 15 minutes of serious teamwork and a full shopping cart, Chef Baggs reviewed and analyzed the purchases. All of the items passed the test except John Scioscia’s Belgian Mini Cream Puffs and Chocolate Covered Banana Babies…some say he was sabotaged by Matt Miller and Ryan Foley, but the grin on John’s face was mighty suspicious.
The Corrigan Kitchen was quickly transformed into the Iron Chef Kitchen. The Challenge was to create a healthy and delicious meal in under 10 minutes. The Secret Ingredient – Rotisserie Chicken. After a few lessons on de-boning a chicken, chopping, baking, and sautéing, the competition was on.
“It seems the term, ‘Too many chefs in the kitchen’, could apply here.”
(…For all of you original Iron Chef fans out there)
All in all, the day was a success. Each meal was incredibly flavorful, and the Notre Dame lacrosse players are now armed with a new arsenal of skill and experience. It seems off-campus eating can be both pennywise and nutritionally abundant.
Who won? Was it the Chicken Cacciatore? The Make-Your-Own Taco Bar? The Chicken Pesto Wraps? or the Southern Comfort Chicken?
I cannot say for sure, but there’s something about controlling my taco toppings that screams blue ribbon…
About In The Crease
- RT @WeAreNDFans: Is it @NDlacrosse season yet 12 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxTips: What does the NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic look like, sound like, feel like? Register @ NDLXP.com https:/… 1 day ago
- 2018 NDLaxTV CoachIng Clinic Preview: youtu.be/HvpaQiwLPIw?a via @YouTube 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/HvpaQiwLPIw?a 2018 NDLaxTV CoachIng Clinic Preview 1 day ago
- RT @LFRVineRepost24: Sergio Perkovic of @NDLacrosse bull dodges, sets his feet and rips it top shelf vine.co/v/OL7uOFBPppp 2 days ago
- 6️⃣ team spots left for our 5v5 Clinic & Challenge on January 28th! ⏱is running out. Sign 🆙today! #🏃👩🏻💻 https://t.co/3kvA5izWSb 5 days ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Have 2⃣ minutes?⏱️ That’s all it takes to renew your Monogram Club membership online 💻 & further the #MonogramClubMission… 5 days ago
- Test Like A Champion this week Irish! #fuelup🍎🥙🍝 #maketimefor😴 #hydrate💦 #dominate📝#Fall2017✔️ 5 days ago
- RT @mattcashore: Bumped into Fr. George earlier today which turned into an invitation to photograph annual @AlumniHallND Candlelight Mass.… 5 days ago
- Celebrating the last day of class and first snow with some a.m. ice cream! #fromthesouth #Jessie #Sydney #Sophs… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey: Bottle and Copyright That Mojo
- M. Basketball. Irish Fall In Overtime Against Indiana, 80-77
- W. Soccer. Five Favorites Photos of 2017: Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History