Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- RT @NDBusiness: What's it like to study business at @NotreDame? Senior Ben Fouchs on courses and careers valuepenguin.com/2016/universit… https://t.… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDAlumni: The Grotto is beautiful year-round. Meet the caretakers who keep it that way: ntrda.me/29VlqtR. https://t.co/HWSJKmeWr2 6 hours ago
- Highlighting the Top 12 Moments from 2016 Season: Spring Break in So. Cal: Defeat of Maryland, Training on... fb.me/3ZPk4jGnJ 7 hours ago
- The Beauty of the Notre Dame Campus captured by Photograhee @MattCashore instagram.com/p/BIYQKtSgscD/ 1 day ago
- RT @joekeegs: Lots of first-year players contributing for contenders—who's the Most Valuable Rookie? | laxmag.us/2a8QAl5 https://t.co… 2 days ago
- Honored to work w/ @stjoemed on our Daughters for Dads game in March & raise over $20k for ND's Harper Cancer Center https://t.co/2aQuEVuOLJ 7 hours ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: That's a wrap! Great week of @NDWomensLax Elite Camp! Great campers, great counselors, great coaches! #laxon 👊🏼💥🍀 2 weeks ago
- RT @NotreDame: In a blink and you missed it moment, the @BlueAngels just flew over campus. #NDMoments https://t.co/fFSkhP4Ekf 3 weeks ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 We'd like to salute all of those who have fought for our independence. Happy Fourth of July! https://t.co/IjlIFtPYmu 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Today marks day 1 of year 3 with @UnderArmour. 2 yrs in the 📚✔️ Time flies when you're having fun! #TeamUA https://t.c… 3 weeks ago
- M. Basketball. Jackson Inks Multi Million Dollar Deal With Boston
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Honored With GCAA Team Academic Award
- W. Rowing. Onto World Championships For Gleadow, Team Canada
- W. Rowing. Rowers Earn Team USA Spots
- M. Golf. Barens Qualifies For U.S. Amateur Championship
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Event Coming Up For Men's Basketball
- Softball. Winter Returns, NPF Debuts At Melissa Cook Stadium In August
- M. Basketball. Pro Hoops Alumni Recap
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster