Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- RT @FightingIrish: 😎☘️ #FirstDayOfSummer #GoIrish https://t.co/dFx5PZilJS 26 minutes ago
- A beautiful castle, an amazing aqueduct and a timeless cathedral. Our last day of #NDLaxSpain in Segovia had it all! https://t.co/bRg203EzJK 28 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏠 #GoIrish https://t.co/wQIJPLmhSK 13 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇪🇸☘️ @NDLacrosse caught #WorldCup fever early when they visited @realmadrid, the home of 6️⃣ World Cup participants! #N… 13 hours ago
- Have you loved watching Ronaldo dominate this World Cup? We took a tour of his home, the legendary Santiago Bernab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Congrats to incoming freshman Madison Mote who was selected to tryout for the USA U19 Team!! #GoIrish ☘️ twitter.com/USLacrosse/sta… 17 hours ago
- Join us in wishing Irish alumna Kelly (McCardell) Van Zile a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/LcctcKhvro 1 day ago
- Jumping for joy that camp is around the corner💃! Limited spots left so 👇click the link and SIGN UP TODAY☘️!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- RT @ndwbb: Our #NDFamily is a remarkable one. ☘️ @MuffetMcGraw opened her house to all of our support staff, volunteers, family, and frie… 2 days ago
- Up next for Making Moves Monday is junior Kelly Donnelly!! Donnelly is in Eden Prairie, MN this summer working as a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
- W. Basketball. Lili Thompson Drafted by Harlem Globetrotters
- Track & Field. Nuguse Wins 1500m at USATF Junior Outdoor Championships
- Baseball. Unspoken Bond: Daily & Podkul Connect At Notre Dame
- M. Tennis. Andrews Named Irish Assistant Coach
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin Resigns from Volleyball Post Due to Health Reasons
- Baseball. Vierling & Podkul Named All-Region