Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Today's #NDLXP 3pm: Team mentoring w/@toddrundgren 430: Team Lift 6pm: Steak/Hot Dog Game Draft 7pm: JR/NYC Netw… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: @toddrundgren playing w/Sophomores Mike Marchese & Mitch Olinger at Dickinson School as part of @playing4peace Mentoring Pr… 16 hours ago
- Follow @playing4peace to see the service and community engagement efforts r players are involved with in Chicago, NYC & So. Bend #NDLXP #CCC 19 hours ago
- RT @playing4peace: @NDLacrosse mentoring about to start prior to the Todd Rundgren impromptu concert with mentors and mentees at Dickinson… 20 hours ago
- We are thrilled to have @toddrundgren with us today! https://t.co/0fbufo6moq 21 hours ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: RT to wish Katherine Eilers a happy birthday!! https://t.co/jx6c3wRrK0 18 hours ago
- 📢🙋🏼Calling all laxers! Join us SATURDAY in Bethesda for a clinic! #NDinMD SIGNUP: ntrda.me/2dhLcvk https://t.co/6QG3sCDaEd 21 hours ago
- Congratulations to '09 grad Jill Byers on her recent Hall of Fame induction! https://t.co/Gm60wU8X2R 23 hours ago
- RT to wish Katherine Eilers a happy birthday!! https://t.co/jx6c3wRrK0 1 day ago
- Gold Standard this week goes to freshman Erin McBride #11! See Instagram for more! https://t.co/gVN3V9pyvA 1 day ago
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Meet Orange In Garden State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey No. 9 In Preseason USCHO Poll
- M. Swimming. Men's Swimming and Diving 2016-17 Captains
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming and Diving Announce Captains
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaleigh Olmsted
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group Drops The Puck On Fourth Season Of Notre Dame Hockey Coverage
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic