Jan 31, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
For most Notre Dame students, this past weekend was much of the same in good ole wintry South Bend: avoiding the south quad wind tunnel, inventing new clothing styles to add more layers, begging cab drivers for dorm-side drop offs. While most of us were dreaming of life south of the Mason-Dixon, head coach Kevin Corrigan and the men’s lacrosse team headed to Florida for a set of exhibition matches against Jacksonville and Team USA.
Although the players enjoyed the weather, this trip was no vacation. With the season opener against Duke on the horizon, this trip was all business for the Irish. Between film sessions, three practices, two scrimmages, and a Sunday clinic, there was very little down time.
“Down time consisted of napping,” said senior midfileder Quinn Cully. “We had maybe two hours of free time during the day. Napping and eating some Panera, that was about it.”
The Irish believe they showed up well, but for Senior goalie John Kemp and his teammates, the weekend exhibitions were not so much about playing well as they were about getting quality work against good competition.
Kemp noted, “Going into the trip, Coach Corrigan stressed that we were going to get a feel for who can play, get some live game experience, and see who we are as a team.”
As one would expect, after months of offseason training and inter-squad practices, the team relished the opportunity to match up against a different opponent. Team USA and Jacksonville each gave the Irish a unique challenge. The Team USA matchup, in particular, meant playing against some of the best talent in America.
“Every guy on the field has a great matchup on the field the whole game,” noted Coach Corrigan. “Being experienced guys, they’re so good and smart and crafty that if you make a mistake, they see it and make you pay for it.”
While the individual talent of Team USA certainly stood out to the Irish, Cully and his teammates were also impressed by the overall unit of Jacksonville.
“Obviously Team USA is a great team with a lot of experience, but the one thing they lack is that they don’t play as a team year-round. So it’s good to get a matchup against individuals like them, who are amazing, and then a team like Jacksonville that does practice year-round as a team.”
With all of the individual talent on the Irish squad, including five members on the ALL-BIG EAST Preseason Team, the Irish hope to mesh this talent with fluid team chemistry. They certainly have the potential to do so. Because of this potential, there is plenty of pre-season hype surrounding the team. They are ranked #3 nationally in both the Nike/Inside Lacrosse Media Poll and the USILA Coaches Poll.
For Coach Corrigan, however, the preseason hype means very little for the upcoming season.
“It’s more of a recognition of what our team did last year. This team has to go out and earn its own stripes.”
About In The Crease
- Watch 4 ND Grads Compete for MLL Championship This Weekend und.com/sports/m-lacro… fb.me/CwQfgoKH 11 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Sophomore Tommy McNamara spent the summer on campus taking 2 Summer Session Classes & training for upcoming sea… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Notre Dame, our Mother. It's Welcome Weekend! ☘️ #PhotoFriday https://t.co/JPIhXqAewI 18 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Soph Charlie Leonard spent the summer training on campus & prepping for rigors of Mendoza College by taking 2 S… 1 day ago
- Be sure to check out our alums in the @MLL_Lacrosse Championship Game this weekend https://t.co/cBGOCMV8rG 1 day ago
- RT @Tewaaraton: GREAT news. Big step! Here's to the #laxemoji officially going through and being available everywhere! https://t.co/ydgbxxb… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game day.… 1 day ago
- RT @NDAlumni: Introducing IrishCompass, Notre Dame's official networking and mentoring online community for alumni and students: https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @KRPowell10: This view never gets old. #officeview #lovetheeND #GoldenDome #TouchdownJesus #herecomes2017 ☘️@NDWomensLax https://t.co/0U… 2 days ago
- 🌍 STUDY ABROAD 🌍 Check out the highlights of the women's lacrosse student-athletes' study abroad adventures this... fb.me/1tatXg8tQ 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship