Feb 21, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
Irish senior Emily Conner returns to the blog with her third “No Time to ReLAX” post of the season. This latest entry looks back at the team’s season opener in Palo Alto, Calif.
It ain’t over till it’s over. – Yogi Berra
“This isn’t the way things are supposed to go,” I thought to myself. We were down 7-2 at halftime in our season opener at Stanford. Shots we normally make weren’t falling. Slides we usually had weren’t quite there. And to make matters worse, we could not seem to come up with the draw – arguably the most crucial element of the game. It was not the same team that had seemed so solid during the entire preseason.
When we ran into the locker room at half, we all knew it was a crucial moment for our team. If we went in feeling defeated, we had no shot at a comeback. If we took the perspective of baseball legend Yogi Berra, we still had a chance to come out of this game with a W. Luckily, the whole team seemed to understand the importance of attitude, and when we walked back out after halftime, we had confidence. I heard someone say, “Smile! We’ve got this!” It wasn’t what I’d expected to hear after the way we’d been playing, but it was exactly what we all needed to hear. “We’ve got this…”
As the second half began, there was no question in my mind that we were going to leave California with a victory. The whole team seemed to have the same mindset, and everyone went to work. The bench was loud, our defense was disruptive and our offense started to, in Chris [Halfpenny]’s words, “rip twine.” We saw eight different scoring threats and some key plays from our freshmen. Everyone came together and did their part, and it made all the difference.
Every time the ball was down on offense, I kept thinking of the lyrics to Aaliyah’s hit, “Try Again” (side note: I have a ‘90s playlist continuously going on in my head). In this case, the lyrics were actually relevant: “If at first you don’t succeed, then dust yourself off and try again.” We made the necessary adjustments and just kept trying, over and over again. We missed some shots, but every time we got the ball back and went at it. Everybody’s combined effort paid off, and we walked away with a 12-10 victory over a very strong Stanford team.
After the game, some parents complained about us giving them high blood pressure with all the close games we’ve had over the years (though personally I think they should be blaming the buffalo chicken dip that gets devoured at every tailgate – thanks Mrs. Shawhan!). While I wish we could blow out every team and let our coaches and parents rest easy, the close games are what distinguish each season. They test us as individuals and ultimately define us as a team.
This all goes back to a point that our coach harped on for the five weeks of preseason; with so many strong personalities, it’s almost impossible to summarize a group of 31 individuals. Still, what sets good teams apart is their ability to define themselves as a unit. So while we struggled for weeks trying to determine our team identity, it only took one 30-minute half to figure out who exactly we are together. What’s more, it was only the first game of the season: The rest of our opponents had better watch out.
About In The Crease
- RT @NDLaxExperience: The Promise. Elite competition. Commitment 2 Academic Excellence in a community of like-minded student athletes #CCC h… 11 hours ago
- ND Leads NCAA & D1 Lacrosse in Academic Progress Rate & along w/Penn & Bucknell as the only Perfect Score... fb.me/81bqbLsHN 11 hours ago
- RT @CascadeLacrosse: @CascadeLacrosse+@MaverikLacrosse Week 12 D1 #Lacrosse MEDIA POLL @Inside_Lacrosse insidelacrosse.com/article/cascad… https://t.… 12 hours ago
- Notre Dame midfielder Sergio Perkovic named to ACC All-Tournament Team (he had three goals and an assist vs. Duke). https://t.co/oRNbgCb8Uw 12 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: Good luck to all our students as you take final exams this week! https://t.co/O9yvlo7pqZ 13 hours ago
- #Goodluck to all #NDstudents this week. #studylikeachampion #testlikeachampion 🍀 https://t.co/zjqBRz8z37 14 hours ago
- No. 6 Irish fall in the @ACCWLax semifinals for 2nd year in a row. NCAAs are up next. Selections May 8 at 9 p.m. https://t.co/bODgdbvhNT 3 days ago
- Kiera McMullan throws a pass to Jenn Casadonte at the top of the crease for an Irish goal. ND is now down just 9-5 with seven minutes to go. 3 days ago
- The Irish call time out with 9:04 to go and the ball on offense. Syracuse leads 9-4. 3 days ago
- It's a 4-0 Orange run. Halle Majorana scores on a free position to make it 9-4 Syracuse with 12:35 remaining. 3 days ago
- W. Golf. Irish Bound For NCAA Birmingham Regional
- M. Basketball. V.J. Beachem To Return For The 2016-17 Season
- Softball. #19/18 Irish Split Strikeout Cancer Series With #RV Louisville
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Sunday Doubleheader To Ohio
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Are Right There—They Need to Make One More Play
- Track. Irish Relays In Fine Form at Drake Relay Meet
- Football. Sheldon Day Drafted on Day Three of 2016 NFL Draft
- Softball. Irish Softball Schedule Against Louisville Altered
- M. Lacrosse. #13 Duke Eliminates #4 Notre Dame in ACC Men's Lacrosse Semifinal
- Baseball. Saturday Baseball Versus Ohio Postponed