Mar 1, 2013, 8:47 AM EDT
The second-ranked Irish take the field on Saturday in the first game of the season at Arlotta Stadium, coming off an impressive overtime win against the eight-ranked annual Big Ten foe, Penn State. Head coach Kevin Corrigan has to be impressed by his team’s maturity. The Irish are playing with the attitude that no game has too large a venue to compete and play at a high level.
The difficult early season slate continues on Saturday with another highly-ranked opponent in #11 North Carolina. The Irish are building quite a resume with Coach Corrigan’s strategy of packing the schedule with three of the most talented teams in the NCAA right off the bat.
Notre Dame will rely on two ends of the spectrum for offensive success. Jim Marlatt, a junior midfielder, will put his hot streak of eight points on the line against a stout UNC defense. The veteran Marlatt has six goals and leads the team in scoring. Just behind him is the freshman sensation, 5’8″ attackman Matt Kavanagh, who has exploded on the national scene with five goals, including the game winner in overtime of the 10-9 victory over Penn State.
Senior goalie John Kemp has made 20 saves on the year and needs to continue to play well to attempt to shut down Marcus Holman, one of the leading point scorers in the country with over five points per game for North Carolina with nine goals and eight assists in total. Jimmy Bitter also is off to a hot start for UNC with eight goals and ten total points. 6’4 Irish defenseman Brian Buglione will try to assert his will and not let any potential Tar Heel scorers near the crease.
The keys to victory in this game are for the Irish to control possession of the ball. The longer the team has to work the offense and find favorable sets for shots on goal, the greater the likelihood the Irish will be able to continue to score at a fast pace. Notre Dame also must attempt to prevent penalties from occurring and from finding themselves in man-down situations. Man-downs lead to goals for opposing teams, especially a skillful team like North Carolina.
Finally, if Notre Dame can jump out to an early lead in front of a spirited home crowd, it should heavily play to the team’s advantage. Fans are hungry for a national championship at Notre Dame after recent years of tournament success. A 3-0 start would further increase the hype surrounding this elite team. A win this weekend could bump the Irish past top-ranked Maryland in next week’s edition of the national polls. North Carolina travels to a hostile environment to face the red hot Irish on Saturday with an opening face-off time of noon ET. If you can’t make it out to Arlotta, watch it live on UND.com.
About In The Crease
- RT @CascadeLacrosse: THE “LUCK OF THE IRISH” ☘️@ndlacrosse #STPATRICKSDAY #CascadeSHelmet INSTAGRAM GIVEAWAY! WIN the same #CascadeSHelmet… 17 minutes ago
- RT @UNISWAG: Unis set for @NDlacrosse’s #StPatricksDay game. @NDLaxExperience x #uniswag https://t.co/g5FtTMfnc6 22 minutes ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Check out the Jersey & Helmet Reveal for our Special St. Patrick’s Day Kit for today’s game vs. UVA. https://t.co/scVb… 24 minutes ago
- Check out the St. Patrick’s Day Uniform from @UALacrosse & helmet from @CascadeLacrosse & @Head_Wrapz for @ESPNU ga… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Game Day. https://t.co/S31K7YTmrA 2 hours ago
- Gameday info: Virginia ⏰ 1 pm ET 📍 Arlotta Stadium (Notre Dame, IN) 📹 espn.com/watch/_/id/329… 📈… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- RT @GoIrish: 🚨 GAME DAY 🚨 @NDWomensLax vs Virginia ⌚️ 1 PM 📍 Arlotta Stadium 🆓 T-shirts while supplies last 🆓 Admission https://t.co/TGjYD… 2 hours ago
- ☘️☘️ IT’S GAMEDAY ☘️☘️ The Irish are back home to host No. 8/7 Virginia on St. Patrick’s Day!! Opening draw is set… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The best way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? A day full of the Irish! ☘️@NDmbb ☘️@NDXCTF ☘️@NDWomensLax ☘️@NDSoftball… 15 hours ago
- The Irish are back home this weekend and hosting Virginia on St. Patrick's Day!! Catch them at Arlotta tomorrow at… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Track & Field. Richartz Breaks School Record at Hurricane Invitational
- Baseball. Irish Down #7 Florida State, 8-7
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Complete Day 3 At NCAAs
- M. Golf. Irish Men's Golf Tied for Fourth after Round One at Schenkel Inv.
- W. Basketball. No. 1 Irish Conquer No. 16 CSUN, 99-81
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Fifth After First Round of Clover Cup
- Softball. Balanced Irish Defeat Louisville 10-3
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Host Top-Five Battle For Big Ten Title
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Releases Promotional Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Pass No. 36 Virginia Tech, 5-2