Mar 4, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Up until the end of the first half of Saturday’s dance with Duquesne in the 27-degree Pittsburgh cold, it was highly conceivable to think the ninth-ranked Irish fell right into the let down trap. After unranked Atlantic 10 contender Duquesne took the lead 5-3 with only thirty minutes to play, the Irish showed tremendous athletic and mental strength to score seven goals in the second half and only allow Duquesne to sneak three past senior goalie Ellie Hilling for a 10-8 Irish win.
This is not the type of victory that will receive national attention for a Notre Dame team coming off of a home opener over highly regarded Ohio State, but the Irish have survived every test thrown at them thus far for a 3-0 start. Head coach Christine Halfpenny has guided her team to two straight 3-0 seasons, piecing together a seemingly overnight program resurgence after the Irish hadn’t started a season 3-0 since 2007-2008.
Duquesne started the game off strongly, scoring four goals in a row during the opening half. Caitlin Prince scored two of those four goals for Duquesne until sophomore Shauna Pugliese broke the scoreless streak with a free position shot. Senior attack player Jenny Granger and midfielder Margaret Smith were the stars of the second half and each scored two goals to give the Irish the victory. Granger added five points to her name on the stat sheet with those two vital goals and three assists. Jaimie Morrison showed off her scoring prowess with two goals of her own and Kaitlyn Brosco was selfless in her play with two assists to support her teammates’ goal scoring. The Irish were in control of the ball in the second half, forcing Ellie Hilling to make only five of her twelve saves in the final period of the game.
Notre Dame really turned up the offensive heat in the second half. They only attempted ten total shots in the first half, but 27 in the second. The Irish edged out Duquesne in the draw controls (11-10) and won the battle for ground balls (14-12).
The Irish will return home for their second home game of the year against Detroit on Tuesday at 6 pm ET. After beginning last year 8-0, Notre Dame set the tone for early season losses as unacceptable. Notre Dame’s confidence has shown through in the first three games and it will take a large amount of intensity and focus in order to continue on the path of winning.
About In The Crease
- RT @College_Crosse: John Crawley lands at Notre Dame, and is Quint Kessenich a Football Guy? Today’s College Crosse Prospectus: https://t.c… 1 hour ago
- Excited to add John Crawley as our new Volunteer Assistant Coach. John was a 2X All American & 2X Captain at John… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Your inside 👀 at the @NDlacrosse student-athlete experience. #GoIrish spark.adobe.com/page/DPeFNxSXl… 1 day ago
- RT @LafayetteMLAX: You will always be with us this year #50. You will forever be part of the Lafayette family. #RIP #MW50 #Weplayforyou htt… 2 days ago
- RT @ArtsLettersND: Sunday, @NotreDame philosopher joins Desmond Tutu, Mother Teresa, and the Dalai Lama as a Templeton Prize Laureate. http… 2 days ago
- This weeks #GoldStandard recipient is Soph. Sav Buchanan. Check out our Insta page to learn more about #8! #That's… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 23 hours ago
- RT @ILWomen: .@NDWomensLax's Aldave headlines the list of incoming midfielders hitting college campuses this fall. Link: https://t.co/2WB4… 23 hours ago
- In honor of the First Day of Fall🌳🍂#midwest☀️ https://t.co/WH9ta5HPpV 3 days ago
- It's #WingWOmanWednesday. Who's got your "6"? #itsadate #funfact https://t.co/jiOETxK75t 5 days ago
- Getting jacked up for our 2017 Fall Clinic. #12days Click to register: campscui.active.com/orgs/Universit… #fallax #skills&dri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 days ago
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Eighth In Preseason Polls
- M. Golf. Irish Within Striking Distance at Shoal Creek
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish Set For Tuesday Duel With #2 Indiana
- W. Golf. Irish Close Strong At Schooner Classic To Tie For Sixth
- W. Rowing. #ShamrockSisters Post Strong Starts At World Championships
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State: What the Irish Learned
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics and the CFP Foundation Go the Extra Yard for Teachers
- W. Golf. Hamilton Fires Program Record 65
- M. Tennis. Play Concludes At Crimson Tide 4-In-The-Fall