Mar 8, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
The sixth-ranked Irish continued a scorching start to the year at home in Loftus on Tuesday by making a statement to the rest of the nation with an authoritative 22-1 win over Detroit (1-4). This team has started as well as anyone and is a legit contender right now for the best team in collegiate women’s lacrosse. Not only did the win catapult Notre Dame to a 4-0 record, but the margin of victory was also the most in school history at 21 goals. Notre Dame also surpassed last season’s goal scoring record of 21, showing coach Christine Halfpenny’s up-tempo, high-octane offense.
The underdog, Detroit, didn’t have time to react when they stepped on the field as the Irish jolted out to a 13-0 lead in the first half. This barrage of scoring set the tone for the game as a whole. The Irish outshot their opponent 19-2 in the first half and 35-6 for the game, giving Ellie Hilling a break during the entire contest, in which she only had to make a single save.
Senior attack Jenny Granger scored on each of her four shot attempts, pushing her total goal count at seven on the year. Shauna Pugliese also had four goals and an assist from the bench on a day where twelve total players scored. Junior attack player Kristen Cousins played in her first game of the season and netted three goals. Backup goalie Adele Bruggeman saw over 17 minutes of action as the Irish were able to rotate many bench players into the mix. Freshman Rachel Sextone saw her first minutes of the season and also scored a goal.
The Irish owned every major statistical category. They went four for six on free position shots, cut Detroit’s amount of turnovers in half (26-13), and won both ground balls and draw controls. Basically, everything Coach Halfpenny stresses on a daily basis the Irish succeeded to accomplish. Although Detroit is hardly the opponent Notre Dame would be facing in a deep playoff situation, this favorable outcome has to be a confidence booster for every member of the team.
About In The Crease
- RT @FCA_MD_Lax: Shout out to FCA (MD) Huddle Leader Bryan Costabile @NDlacrosse for being named to the USILA Team of the Week after his car… 7 hours ago
- RT @mittenstatelax: #Repost @millerphotography9 ・・・ Stuck in the slowest drive thru line EVER, wishing I could put on the brakes and turn a… 15 hours ago
- With Maryland game now on BTN it is a clean sweep of regular season games on TV for our fans. #NDLXP https://t.co/YW1AW4QKop 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Friday ➡️ Our 🏠 Sunday ➡️ Their 🏠 No. 1 @NDHockey takes on No. 18 Michigan, starting with Friday's 7:35 p.m. ET home ga… 2 days ago
- RT @NDmbbSID: Injury updates from @NDMikeBrey - @TheRealDJHarvey full participation in practice next two days, heading toward being able to… 2 days ago
- A strong effort on both sides of the field leads to a 17-6 win for the Irish! Catch up with all the action from tod… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- FINAL: Irish 17, Dolphins 6 Notre Dame dominates from start to finish en route to their first win of the season!!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Jacksonville goal from Kasey Stevens. 15-6 Irish with 2:15 left in the game. 14 hours ago
- Maddie Howe scores her second of the afternoon off the assist from Haley Schultz!! 15-5 Irish with 4:01 left!!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 14 hours ago
- Jessi Masinko adds her second goal of the game!! Irish lead 14-5 with 4:48 left in the second half!! #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/MYqy7nijZB 14 hours ago
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Women Finish 5th At ACC Championships
- Baseball. Big Inning Sends Irish Past No. 9 LSU
- Fencing. Sunday Brunch: Russo's Multiple Title Chases Begin
- Track & Field. Irish Break Men's Distance Medley Relay School Record in Final Home Meet
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Historic Day Leads Irish In Win Over Boston College
- Softball. #RV Irish Score Hard-Fought 6-5 Win Over #14 Minnesota
- W. Lacrosse. No. 16 Irish cruise by Dolphins, 17-6
- M. Tennis. #22 Irish Drop 4-3 Decision To No. 11 Florida
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish to Play Last Regular Season Road Contest This Sunday at Boston College
- Baseball. Irish Drop Season-Opening Heartbreaker At No. 9 LSU