Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Sixth-ranked Notre Dame’s start to 2013 has been remarkable and the offensive improvements the Irish have made from last year are extremely evident at this point in the season. The Irish gave the home crowd a great deal to cheer about in yet another explosive offensive outburst, improving to 5-0 by defeating Boston, 16-11, in Saturday’s late afternoon game in Arlotta Stadium.
The win was not easy to come by, as it looked like the women’s team would fall off the ranks of the unbeaten just as the men’s team had a few hours earlier. Boston surprised the Irish with eight first half goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break. The Terriers outshot the Irish, 22-14, and Kristen Mogovero netted three goals. One of the lone positives in the first half was that Notre Dame went 2-3 in free position goal attempts. Coach Christine Halfpenny got her team’s attention during the break and a total refocus allowed for 12 second half goals and a 16-11 comeback rout in favor of Notre Dame. The Irish finished the game controlling the draw 18-11 overall and 11-5 in the second. Notre Dame also finished the second half doubling the Terriers’ shot attempts, 20-10.
Three of the Irish attack had at least three goals, as Boston’s defense simply couldn’t handle their game plan to create open shots. Notre Dame’s two leading goal scorers continued to add to an onslaught of offensive output this season with four goals from Jaimie Morrison (11 on the season) and three from Jenny Granger (10). Morrison also passed for two assists and Granger added an assist as well. Morrison now has 18 points on the season and Granger is a close second with 16 points. Fellow attack Lauren Sullivan had three goals of her own for a total of eight on the year. Freshman midfielder Stephanie Toy contributed from off the bench for three goals and an assist. Senior attack Betsy Mastropieri also scored a pair of goals.
The Irish should continue to climb up the deBeer Media Poll with an impressive beginning to 2013 and a 5-0 start, including a 3-0 home record thus far. Notre Dame will look to go 6-0 against Vanderbilt on Wednesday in Nashville.
About In The Crease
- RT @Cuse: RECAP: Dylan Donahue nets 7 goals, @CuseMLAX rallies but falls to @NDlacrosse in OT, 13-12 bit.ly/1BG9hO4 http://t.co/2t5… 22 minutes ago
- RT @Inside_Lacrosse: .@LaxFilmRoom’s reaction to @NDlacrosse’s thrilling 13-12 OT win over @CuseMLAX bit.ly/1GBKRLe http://t.co/lmi… 27 minutes ago
- RT @LacrosseMag: Doss, Near lead as Notre Dame nips Syracuse in 2OT; first-ever Irish win over No. 1 team | laxmag.us/1Ckd4Ty http://t… 29 minutes ago
- Keeping our heads on a Golden Swivel. Thanks HeadWrapz & Caacade. instagram.com/p/0yrB5DnROa/ 2 hours ago
- Double OT. Instant Classic. instagram.com/p/0yieFPnRNQ/ 3 hours ago
- Arrive early on Sunday to receive a free beanie hat, courtesy of @stjoemed for our ACC showdown vs. #3 UNC at 1 pm http://t.co/NWpu5Vb1hr 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Fortunato and Sexton each scored five in Wednesday's WLAX 18-8 win at Marquette. Read More: und.com/sports/w-lacro… http… 2 days ago
- RT @klinnertz: #CooperEdward sporting his #babyarmour! @UALacrosse @UnderArmour @NDWomensLax #GoIrish 🍀 http://t.co/IGaVj9hnto 2 days ago
- Notre Dame did something for the first time since 2008 to down Marquette, 18-8, on Wednesday. fb.me/4hONZn8yU 3 days ago
- RT @SuzysSwirl: Thanks for swirling with us @NDWomensLax! http://t.co/pWFOLHuj1S 3 days ago
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
- Softball. #RV Irish Shut Out #24 Virginia Tech 2-0 To Take Series Opener
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish Down #1 Syracuse In Double-Overtime, 13-12
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #5/6 Baylor Sunday In NCAA Elite Eight
- M. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (3) #8 Notre Dame vs. (1) #1 Kentucky
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Allen Steals the Show for Irish Versus Stanford
- Softball. Notre Dame Softball Saturday Schedule Update
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 81, #14/17 Stanford 60 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Semifinal)
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford