Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Sixth-ranked Notre Dame’s start to 2013 has been remarkable and the offensive improvements the Irish have made from last year are extremely evident at this point in the season. The Irish gave the home crowd a great deal to cheer about in yet another explosive offensive outburst, improving to 5-0 by defeating Boston, 16-11, in Saturday’s late afternoon game in Arlotta Stadium.
The win was not easy to come by, as it looked like the women’s team would fall off the ranks of the unbeaten just as the men’s team had a few hours earlier. Boston surprised the Irish with eight first half goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break. The Terriers outshot the Irish, 22-14, and Kristen Mogovero netted three goals. One of the lone positives in the first half was that Notre Dame went 2-3 in free position goal attempts. Coach Christine Halfpenny got her team’s attention during the break and a total refocus allowed for 12 second half goals and a 16-11 comeback rout in favor of Notre Dame. The Irish finished the game controlling the draw 18-11 overall and 11-5 in the second. Notre Dame also finished the second half doubling the Terriers’ shot attempts, 20-10.
Three of the Irish attack had at least three goals, as Boston’s defense simply couldn’t handle their game plan to create open shots. Notre Dame’s two leading goal scorers continued to add to an onslaught of offensive output this season with four goals from Jaimie Morrison (11 on the season) and three from Jenny Granger (10). Morrison also passed for two assists and Granger added an assist as well. Morrison now has 18 points on the season and Granger is a close second with 16 points. Fellow attack Lauren Sullivan had three goals of her own for a total of eight on the year. Freshman midfielder Stephanie Toy contributed from off the bench for three goals and an assist. Senior attack Betsy Mastropieri also scored a pair of goals.
The Irish should continue to climb up the deBeer Media Poll with an impressive beginning to 2013 and a 5-0 start, including a 3-0 home record thus far. Notre Dame will look to go 6-0 against Vanderbilt on Wednesday in Nashville.
About In The Crease
- Watch 4 ND Grads Compete for MLL Championship This Weekend und.com/sports/m-lacro… fb.me/CwQfgoKH 11 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Sophomore Tommy McNamara spent the summer on campus taking 2 Summer Session Classes & training for upcoming sea… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Notre Dame, our Mother. It's Welcome Weekend! ☘️ #PhotoFriday https://t.co/JPIhXqAewI 18 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Soph Charlie Leonard spent the summer training on campus & prepping for rigors of Mendoza College by taking 2 S… 1 day ago
- Be sure to check out our alums in the @MLL_Lacrosse Championship Game this weekend https://t.co/cBGOCMV8rG 1 day ago
- RT @Tewaaraton: GREAT news. Big step! Here's to the #laxemoji officially going through and being available everywhere! https://t.co/ydgbxxb… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game day.… 1 day ago
- RT @NDAlumni: Introducing IrishCompass, Notre Dame's official networking and mentoring online community for alumni and students: https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @KRPowell10: This view never gets old. #officeview #lovetheeND #GoldenDome #TouchdownJesus #herecomes2017 ☘️@NDWomensLax https://t.co/0U… 2 days ago
- 🌍 STUDY ABROAD 🌍 Check out the highlights of the women's lacrosse student-athletes' study abroad adventures this... fb.me/1tatXg8tQ 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship