Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Sixth-ranked Notre Dame’s start to 2013 has been remarkable and the offensive improvements the Irish have made from last year are extremely evident at this point in the season. The Irish gave the home crowd a great deal to cheer about in yet another explosive offensive outburst, improving to 5-0 by defeating Boston, 16-11, in Saturday’s late afternoon game in Arlotta Stadium.
The win was not easy to come by, as it looked like the women’s team would fall off the ranks of the unbeaten just as the men’s team had a few hours earlier. Boston surprised the Irish with eight first half goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break. The Terriers outshot the Irish, 22-14, and Kristen Mogovero netted three goals. One of the lone positives in the first half was that Notre Dame went 2-3 in free position goal attempts. Coach Christine Halfpenny got her team’s attention during the break and a total refocus allowed for 12 second half goals and a 16-11 comeback rout in favor of Notre Dame. The Irish finished the game controlling the draw 18-11 overall and 11-5 in the second. Notre Dame also finished the second half doubling the Terriers’ shot attempts, 20-10.
Three of the Irish attack had at least three goals, as Boston’s defense simply couldn’t handle their game plan to create open shots. Notre Dame’s two leading goal scorers continued to add to an onslaught of offensive output this season with four goals from Jaimie Morrison (11 on the season) and three from Jenny Granger (10). Morrison also passed for two assists and Granger added an assist as well. Morrison now has 18 points on the season and Granger is a close second with 16 points. Fellow attack Lauren Sullivan had three goals of her own for a total of eight on the year. Freshman midfielder Stephanie Toy contributed from off the bench for three goals and an assist. Senior attack Betsy Mastropieri also scored a pair of goals.
The Irish should continue to climb up the deBeer Media Poll with an impressive beginning to 2013 and a 5-0 start, including a 3-0 home record thus far. Notre Dame will look to go 6-0 against Vanderbilt on Wednesday in Nashville.
About In The Crease
- RT @LFRVineRepost24: Sergio Perkovic of @NDLacrosse bull dodges, sets his feet and rips it top shelf vine.co/v/OL7uOFBPppp 8 hours ago
- RT @18stripes: You should read this wonderful recap of Irish lacrosse in the MLL right now. 18stripes.com/lacrosse-notre… 2 days ago
- RT @LaxRecords: Quentin Buchman from Santa Margarita is among California's all-time goal leaders. The @NDlacrosse commit scored 226 in his… 3 days ago
- Team Trainer Mandy Merritt & former Captain Conor Kelly joined Alex Hurdle & incoming freshman Jose Boyer at the Wo… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 days ago
- RT @ND_Atl: 2016 @ndlacrosse captain Connor Kelly between the pipes for Ireland Lacrosse vs Latvia Replay now on @espnu #GoIrish 1 week ago
- Join us in wishing Irish alumna Lindsey (Ferguson) Ganley a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/e1xpiQkPvX 7 hours ago
- Join us in wishing Irish alumna Heather (Ferguson) Van Thuyne a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/Ih6MssVNXU 7 hours ago
- Happy Birthday to Mollie Carr! We hope it is a great one! 🎉🎈🎂 #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/VBNqv8SvLb 7 hours ago
- RT @KRPowell10: Wheels up! #RIC here I come! ✈️ ☀️ #summerlax #findingfuture☘️ @NDWomensLax https://t.co/KDu2DrQ7lO 2 days ago
- Keep an 👀 out in Richmond this weekend, the Irish are heading your way!! #fiNDingfuture #summerlax #GoIrish ☘️ https://t.co/fgdpuD6jZl 3 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Johnson Announces Volleyball Staff For Upcoming Season
- W. Rowing. O'Tighearnaigh Named Honorable Mention All-American
- Football. Irish Trio Named To Bednarik,Maxwell Watch Lists
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role