Mar 11, 2013, 8:18 PM EDT
Sixth-ranked Notre Dame’s start to 2013 has been remarkable and the offensive improvements the Irish have made from last year are extremely evident at this point in the season. The Irish gave the home crowd a great deal to cheer about in yet another explosive offensive outburst, improving to 5-0 by defeating Boston, 16-11, in Saturday’s late afternoon game in Arlotta Stadium.
The win was not easy to come by, as it looked like the women’s team would fall off the ranks of the unbeaten just as the men’s team had a few hours earlier. Boston surprised the Irish with eight first half goals to take an 8-4 lead into the break. The Terriers outshot the Irish, 22-14, and Kristen Mogovero netted three goals. One of the lone positives in the first half was that Notre Dame went 2-3 in free position goal attempts. Coach Christine Halfpenny got her team’s attention during the break and a total refocus allowed for 12 second half goals and a 16-11 comeback rout in favor of Notre Dame. The Irish finished the game controlling the draw 18-11 overall and 11-5 in the second. Notre Dame also finished the second half doubling the Terriers’ shot attempts, 20-10.
Three of the Irish attack had at least three goals, as Boston’s defense simply couldn’t handle their game plan to create open shots. Notre Dame’s two leading goal scorers continued to add to an onslaught of offensive output this season with four goals from Jaimie Morrison (11 on the season) and three from Jenny Granger (10). Morrison also passed for two assists and Granger added an assist as well. Morrison now has 18 points on the season and Granger is a close second with 16 points. Fellow attack Lauren Sullivan had three goals of her own for a total of eight on the year. Freshman midfielder Stephanie Toy contributed from off the bench for three goals and an assist. Senior attack Betsy Mastropieri also scored a pair of goals.
The Irish should continue to climb up the deBeer Media Poll with an impressive beginning to 2013 and a 5-0 start, including a 3-0 home record thus far. Notre Dame will look to go 6-0 against Vanderbilt on Wednesday in Nashville.
About In The Crease
- So many sides 2 #NDLXP: Service, Travel, Competition, etc Can't overlook ND Alumni Community, so generous w/time &… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/TWgcqWqv3mc?a NDLaxTV Drill: "Umbrella Approaches 2017" 18 hours ago
- NDLaxTV Drill: "Gauntlet" Ground Balls 2017: youtu.be/y3bQtYaSG4I?a via @YouTube 18 hours ago
- RT @College_Crosse: College Crosse Prospectus - October 20, 2017: UVA Alumni Game Highlights; Notre Dame In NYC. collegecrosse.com/2017/10/20/165… ht… 20 hours ago
- Annual Career Development/Alumni Engagement Trip to NYC is the next stop on our Fall #NDLXP. Dozens of former... fb.me/41C6m4Lyr 1 day ago
- #TBT to the SURPRISE we had for @NDcoachPenny before #fallbreak! #HBD #🎂wouldn'tlight #improvise #GoIrish https://t.co/w6qYz5RSSG 2 days ago
- RT @KRPowell10: HBD @NDcoachPenny🎉 ! A great boss,better friend,&exceptional caregiver.May the next _ _yrs be just as fulfilling! #IrishFam… 2 days ago
- RT @KRPowell10: Thanks #IrishHealth for another year of health screenings. 🏃 😷 @NDWomensLax https://t.co/xY61BPGTOD 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Don’t be superstitious. Our 1️⃣3️⃣s are lucky. #FridayThe13th #GoIrish https://t.co/gM0xVxxZZG 1 week ago
- Congratulations to this weeks Gold Standard recipient Jr. Makenna Pearsall. Check out our Insta story to learn mor… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
- M. Basketball. Irish Open Preseason With 97-57 Win Over Holy Cross College
- Swimming & Diving. #17/25 Swimming & Diving Downs Georgia Tech
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: Five Things to Watch
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Holy Cross College - Five Things To Know
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Fall To Sacred Heart 6-4
- M. Tennis. Irish Open Hot At ITA Midwest Regionals