Mar 22, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
Two more Top 10 wins vaulted the third-ranked Irish to 5-1 on the year. Notre Dame notched yet another tight victory against then fifth-ranked Denver at Mile High Stadium, 13-12 in overtime, and followed that performance with a much more convincing 9-4 victory on Wednesday inside Loftus over Ohio State. While tumultuous weather forced Notre Dame indoors, the Irish played with evident extra motivation to defeat the eighth-ranked Buckeyes.
Notre Dame provided consistent scoring in the first half with three goals in both the first and second quarters. Ryan Foley got the scoring started with a goal at the 14:11 mark in the first, followed by two goals by Conor Doyle and Nick Ossello. Both goals were assisted by freshman attackman Matt Kavanagh, who leads the Irish in total points and goals scored. Notre Dame scored five goals in a row at one point from late in the first through the second quarter. The Irish’s diverse scoring attack, which is 27th in the country, featured Ryan Mix, Jim Marlatt, and Kavanagh each scoring in the second.
Sean Rogers added two goals in the fourth quarter after both teams were held scoreless in the third. Rogers now has 10 goals on the year and recorded his fourth multi-goal game. The former Big East Offensive Player of the Week Kavanagh also scored his second goal of the game, his 11th total, to end the scoring blitz by the Irish. Five Notre Dame goal scorers had two or more points in the game dominated in total shots, 42-27. In fact, Notre Dame led in almost every major statistical category including ground balls, face offs, and saves.
Notre Dame’s defense only surrendered a goal in the first period and three in the fourth. Reegan Comeault scored two goals and the Buckeyes supplemented his offense with a goal apiece from David Planning and Jesse King. The Notre Dame defense of Stephen O’Hara, Senior CLASS Award candidate Matt Miller, Brian Buglione, and goalie John Kemp bottled up the Ohio State possessions for most of the game.
The Irish will next travel to New Jersey to face conference foe, Rutgers. This opens up Notre Dame’s BIG EAST competition and it should dictate how the Irish will match up against teams that make up the rest of the conference.
About In The Crease
- So many sides 2 #NDLXP: Service, Travel, Competition, etc Can't overlook ND Alumni Community, so generous w/time &… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 13 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/TWgcqWqv3mc?a NDLaxTV Drill: "Umbrella Approaches 2017" 18 hours ago
- NDLaxTV Drill: "Gauntlet" Ground Balls 2017: youtu.be/y3bQtYaSG4I?a via @YouTube 18 hours ago
- RT @College_Crosse: College Crosse Prospectus - October 20, 2017: UVA Alumni Game Highlights; Notre Dame In NYC. collegecrosse.com/2017/10/20/165… ht… 20 hours ago
- Annual Career Development/Alumni Engagement Trip to NYC is the next stop on our Fall #NDLXP. Dozens of former... fb.me/41C6m4Lyr 1 day ago
- #TBT to the SURPRISE we had for @NDcoachPenny before #fallbreak! #HBD #🎂wouldn'tlight #improvise #GoIrish https://t.co/w6qYz5RSSG 2 days ago
- RT @KRPowell10: HBD @NDcoachPenny🎉 ! A great boss,better friend,&exceptional caregiver.May the next _ _yrs be just as fulfilling! #IrishFam… 2 days ago
- RT @KRPowell10: Thanks #IrishHealth for another year of health screenings. 🏃 😷 @NDWomensLax https://t.co/xY61BPGTOD 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Don’t be superstitious. Our 1️⃣3️⃣s are lucky. #FridayThe13th #GoIrish https://t.co/gM0xVxxZZG 1 week ago
- Congratulations to this weeks Gold Standard recipient Jr. Makenna Pearsall. Check out our Insta story to learn mor… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish, #15 Duke Battle To Scoreless Draw
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Rebound With 3-1 Victory Over Sacred Heart
- W. Volleyball. Yeadon's 24 Kills Powers Irish Past Florida State
- M. Tennis. Howells, Lebedev Into Doubles Quarterfinal At ITA Midwest Regionals
- M. Basketball. Irish Open Preseason With 97-57 Win Over Holy Cross College
- Swimming & Diving. #17/25 Swimming & Diving Downs Georgia Tech
- Football. Notre Dame-USC: Five Things to Watch
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Holy Cross College - Five Things To Know
- M. Ice Hockey. #5/6 Irish Fall To Sacred Heart 6-4
- M. Tennis. Irish Open Hot At ITA Midwest Regionals