Apr 4, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
By Rich Hidy ’16
The top spot in the country proved to be fleeting for the Irish. The team only held the position for a week following a high-octane offensive outpouring last Saturday when the Irish stumbled against St. John’s 12-10.
However, Notre Dame bounced back with a dominant performance on the road against Marquette in the first lacrosse game played between the two schools in their program histories. Notre Dame took a step out of conference play and overwhelmed the Golden Eagles with an fierce, attacking style of play. The game was played at a neutral site in Illinois at Loyola Academy, and the Irish proved to be the more prepared team on both offense and defense with a 17-5 victory.
Fourth-ranked Notre Dame is currently 7-2 overall with a 5-0 away record, including the neutral site win. The win against Marquette was the Irish’s largest margin of victory of the season by 12 goals, and the 17 goals scored by Notre Dame were the most the team has scored since 2009 in a 19-7 victory over Dartmouth.
Junior attackman John Scioscia, who had been relatively quiet heading into the Marquette game with only two goals, netted six against Marquette and added an assist. His six goals were the most scored by any Notre Dame player in four years. Matt Kavanagh continued his remarkable freshman campaign, scoring two goals and adding another two assists. Kavanagh leads everyone on the roster with eighteen goals and twenty-eight points. Eleven different players scored for Notre Dame and John Kemp saved five shots fired at the net, while only allowing three to cross the net inside the crease. Notre Dame only allowed one goal until well into the third quarter when Marquette’s Kyle Whitlow notched a goal to make the score 10-2 with 8:55 left. Credit Stephen O’Hara, Matt Miller, and Brian Buglione for a commendable game on the defensive side with O’Hara leading the way in the ground balls category with four. The Irish outshot Marquette an extremely lopsided 38 to 20 and cleared 16 of 18 opportunities in the game.
The Irish continue to test their road luck on Sunday afternoon against Providence. A victory could move Notre Dame back up a few spots in the polls as the team continues its quest to return to first.
About In The Crease
- Watch 4 ND Grads Compete for MLL Championship This Weekend und.com/sports/m-lacro… fb.me/CwQfgoKH 11 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Sophomore Tommy McNamara spent the summer on campus taking 2 Summer Session Classes & training for upcoming sea… 16 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: Notre Dame, our Mother. It's Welcome Weekend! ☘️ #PhotoFriday https://t.co/JPIhXqAewI 18 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Rising Soph Charlie Leonard spent the summer training on campus & prepping for rigors of Mendoza College by taking 2 S… 1 day ago
- Be sure to check out our alums in the @MLL_Lacrosse Championship Game this weekend https://t.co/cBGOCMV8rG 1 day ago
- RT @Tewaaraton: GREAT news. Big step! Here's to the #laxemoji officially going through and being available everywhere! https://t.co/ydgbxxb… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game day.… 1 day ago
- RT @NDAlumni: Introducing IrishCompass, Notre Dame's official networking and mentoring online community for alumni and students: https://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @KRPowell10: This view never gets old. #officeview #lovetheeND #GoldenDome #TouchdownJesus #herecomes2017 ☘️@NDWomensLax https://t.co/0U… 2 days ago
- 🌍 STUDY ABROAD 🌍 Check out the highlights of the women's lacrosse student-athletes' study abroad adventures this... fb.me/1tatXg8tQ 3 days ago
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
- Football. EXCLUSIVE: Rockne Heritage Uniforms Unveiled
- M. Lacrosse. Four Irish Alums Set To Play For MLL Championship
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship