Apr 4, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
By Rich Hidy ’16
The top spot in the country proved to be fleeting for the Irish. The team only held the position for a week following a high-octane offensive outpouring last Saturday when the Irish stumbled against St. John’s 12-10.
However, Notre Dame bounced back with a dominant performance on the road against Marquette in the first lacrosse game played between the two schools in their program histories. Notre Dame took a step out of conference play and overwhelmed the Golden Eagles with an fierce, attacking style of play. The game was played at a neutral site in Illinois at Loyola Academy, and the Irish proved to be the more prepared team on both offense and defense with a 17-5 victory.
Fourth-ranked Notre Dame is currently 7-2 overall with a 5-0 away record, including the neutral site win. The win against Marquette was the Irish’s largest margin of victory of the season by 12 goals, and the 17 goals scored by Notre Dame were the most the team has scored since 2009 in a 19-7 victory over Dartmouth.
Junior attackman John Scioscia, who had been relatively quiet heading into the Marquette game with only two goals, netted six against Marquette and added an assist. His six goals were the most scored by any Notre Dame player in four years. Matt Kavanagh continued his remarkable freshman campaign, scoring two goals and adding another two assists. Kavanagh leads everyone on the roster with eighteen goals and twenty-eight points. Eleven different players scored for Notre Dame and John Kemp saved five shots fired at the net, while only allowing three to cross the net inside the crease. Notre Dame only allowed one goal until well into the third quarter when Marquette’s Kyle Whitlow notched a goal to make the score 10-2 with 8:55 left. Credit Stephen O’Hara, Matt Miller, and Brian Buglione for a commendable game on the defensive side with O’Hara leading the way in the ground balls category with four. The Irish outshot Marquette an extremely lopsided 38 to 20 and cleared 16 of 18 opportunities in the game.
The Irish continue to test their road luck on Sunday afternoon against Providence. A victory could move Notre Dame back up a few spots in the polls as the team continues its quest to return to first.
About In The Crease
- RT @CascadeLacrosse: THE “LUCK OF THE IRISH” ☘️@ndlacrosse #STPATRICKSDAY #CascadeSHelmet INSTAGRAM GIVEAWAY! WIN the same #CascadeSHelmet… 9 minutes ago
- RT @UNISWAG: Unis set for @NDlacrosse’s #StPatricksDay game. @NDLaxExperience x #uniswag https://t.co/g5FtTMfnc6 15 minutes ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Check out the Jersey & Helmet Reveal for our Special St. Patrick’s Day Kit for today’s game vs. UVA. https://t.co/scVb… 17 minutes ago
- Check out the St. Patrick’s Day Uniform from @UALacrosse & helmet from @CascadeLacrosse & @Head_Wrapz for @ESPNU ga… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Game Day. https://t.co/S31K7YTmrA 2 hours ago
- Gameday info: Virginia ⏰ 1 pm ET 📍 Arlotta Stadium (Notre Dame, IN) 📹 espn.com/watch/_/id/329… 📈… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- RT @GoIrish: 🚨 GAME DAY 🚨 @NDWomensLax vs Virginia ⌚️ 1 PM 📍 Arlotta Stadium 🆓 T-shirts while supplies last 🆓 Admission https://t.co/TGjYD… 2 hours ago
- ☘️☘️ IT’S GAMEDAY ☘️☘️ The Irish are back home to host No. 8/7 Virginia on St. Patrick’s Day!! Opening draw is set… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: The best way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? A day full of the Irish! ☘️@NDmbb ☘️@NDXCTF ☘️@NDWomensLax ☘️@NDSoftball… 15 hours ago
- The Irish are back home this weekend and hosting Virginia on St. Patrick's Day!! Catch them at Arlotta tomorrow at… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 20 hours ago
- Track & Field. Richartz Breaks School Record at Hurricane Invitational
- Baseball. Irish Down #7 Florida State, 8-7
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Complete Day 3 At NCAAs
- M. Golf. Irish Men's Golf Tied for Fourth after Round One at Schenkel Inv.
- W. Basketball. No. 1 Irish Conquer No. 16 CSUN, 99-81
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Fifth After First Round of Clover Cup
- Softball. Balanced Irish Defeat Louisville 10-3
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Host Top-Five Battle For Big Ten Title
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Releases Promotional Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Pass No. 36 Virginia Tech, 5-2