May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/lCjJXHW5ihM?a ND Strength: Speed/COD Agilities 2 hours ago
- ND Strength: Speed/COD Agilities: youtu.be/lCjJXHW5ihM?a via @YouTube 2 hours ago
- RT @18stripes: .@ND_Atl's got an update for us today on @NDlacrosse's exceptional summer. Alumni bring home the MLL Championship: https://t… 18 hours ago
- Work day yesterday. Work day today. https://t.co/L3D3PfCmbx 21 hours ago
- Matt Landis '16 selected as part of Team USA for opening of US Lacrosse Field in Baltimore... fb.me/7f3vV3NFD 1 day ago
- Eleven Freshmen Arrive to Campus; Bring Versatility and Depth to Roster und.com/sports/w-lacro… https://t.co/lrVxbIxGid 1 day ago
- It was a great 1st day of school. Time to catch some 😴 for tomorrow. #backtoschoolvibes #CoCoforthewin https://t.co/zrejAIg1I7 2 days ago
- Golf carts feed the wolf. @NDCoachGeoff #welovetheushers #friendsofDontheusher #senioryear #backtoschoolvibes https://t.co/VVKpd1HcLx 2 days ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: Freshies off to first dinner. #northorsouthdininghall #backtoschoolvibes #rideordie #GoIrish https://t.co/s7IzsZfdjv 2 days ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: We are obviously Father Jenkins favorite team on campus.☘#❤️lax #backtoschoolvibes #somanyselfies #lovetheeNotreDame https… 2 days ago
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016
- W. Volleyball. No Limits As Irish Embark Upon 2016
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Fall To Wolverines 2-0
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Begin New Season With Berticelli Memorial Tournament
- M. Ice Hockey. Holmberg And Novak Added To Hockey Roster
- Monogram Club. Justice Alan Page To Receive Monogram Club's Moose Krause Award
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sisters Are Top 10 At World Championship
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Michigan
- W. Lacrosse. Eleven Freshmen Bring Versatility and Depth
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaela Little