May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/EuAt_evb0I8?a Your Edge: Goalie Warm-Up Drills With Scott Rodgers 14 hours ago
- RT @CSELax: 3 future @NDlacrosse players are in this year's #UAALLAMERICA game. Watch them on Friday at 8 EDT on @ESPNU http://t.co/n1ANwA… 14 hours ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: All custom @UnderArmour duffles and backpacks today. 116 total boxes for those of you counting at home! #TeamUA http://… 16 hours ago
- The Grotto of Our Lady at Notre Dame #NDLaxCampusTour instagram.com/p/4l6-hrHRL2/ 21 hours ago
- RT @Sports_Greats: You don't always get what you wish for, you get what you work for. -Unknown 1 day ago
- Rise and shine it's time for CAMP! Thanks @UALacrosse for sick gear! #IWILL #Itscampseason #GoIrish 🍀 http://t.co/47SWsKmv6g 1 week ago
- RT @NDCoachGeoff: Pretty much the best staff ever created... Love Love Love this crew @NDWomensLax #canwegoback http://t.co/Z5PclnKij7 2 weeks ago
- Great weekend on the trail at New England Cup and Lax Inception watching #futureirish🍀 2 weeks ago
- This time last week we made our own pizza at Al Capolinea Restaurant in Lake Como #ndwlaxitaly #pizzalovers #za http://t.co/sWMHoQRDGf 2 weeks ago
- RT @FightingIrish: LIGHT UP #1! Molly Seidel (@ByGollyMolly12) brings home the NCAA Title for @NDXCTF in the 10,000 for programs 1st 🏆! ht… 2 weeks ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team