May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ Dream Chasers! @NDlacrosse stars chosen for U.S. National Team tryout. Matt Landis Matt Kavanagh Sergio Perkovic htt… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Check out highlights & interviews from the Class of '17 Graduation on Long Island during @NCAA_Lax Quarterfinals http… 23 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/IjCg6rb7QXk?a NDLXP: Class Of 2017 Graduation On The Road 1 day ago
- 2017 MLAX Graduation: youtu.be/IjCg6rb7QXk?a via @YouTube 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ @NDlacrosse has a special tradition when graduation happens during the NCAA Tourney. See how our seniors were honored… 1 day ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: Love this fabulous crew! #graduation17 #LoveTheeNotreDame ❤🍀 https://t.co/bIfnHNPje1 3 days ago
- It's officially graduation weekend for the #Classof2017! ☘️🎓 #NDFamily https://t.co/iQJgAgC5Yg 3 days ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: STUDENT-ATHLETE. This year's team excelled on the field and in the classroom, posting a 3.394 GPA this semester! ☘️ https… 4 days ago
- ICYMI: Pearsall, Fortunato were named All-Americans by the @IWLCA ☘️ und.com/sports/w-lacro… 4 days ago
- RT @chadchadthedad: @NDWomensLax @NCAA_Lax @IWLCA @USLacrosseMag @BrianPracht @Inside_Lacrosse @ILWomen @Tewaaraton @theACCDN @ACCWLax They… 4 days ago
- W. Tennis. Robinson Named Program's First National Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- Baseball. Irish Embark On Postseason Play
- Football. Drue Tranquill Named To Lott Trophy Watch List
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Vierling Nabs All-ACC Nod
- Football. Sam Mustipher Named To Rimington Trophy Watch List
- Softball. Cal Steals 5-3 Decision From Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Denver Roars Past Irish
- Baseball. ACC Baseball Championship Next Stop For Irish
- Softball. Irish Topple ETSU In Extras, 7-6