May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- SAVE THE DATE: Help us honor a great man by supporting this event and an organization near & dear to his heart:... fb.me/1TLqW9qQ3 9 minutes ago
- Entrance of Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center, aka the home of ndmbb and @ndwbb is next on the… instagram.com/p/7JBoA5HRKB/ 1 hour ago
- Little sneak into the entrance of Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center - home of @NDmbb #NDGearTour http://t.co/6dXg0NqgZe 1 hour ago
- NDLaxTV Drills: "Pop & Move": youtu.be/9kwJzN_8x40?a via @YouTube 2 hours ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/9kwJzN_8x40?a NDLaxTV Drills: "Pop & Move" 2 hours ago
- Check out our new look on our website at und.com/sports/w-lacro… http://t.co/t9p1hV7QkT 5 hours ago
- Part 2/2 of our teams 137 pull up this morning! #bodybygeoff #34strong @NDCoachGeoff http://t.co/QEa8n6a8IB 1 day ago
- Part 1/2 of our teams 137 pull up this morning! #bodybygeoff #34strong @NDCoachGeoff http://t.co/4i9pWhqRnw 1 day ago
- Happy Birthday to #1 Kiera McMullan! Starting off the week with 🎂 and 🍦. #🎉🎈 #🇺🇸 #youareNice 2 days ago
- Semi-annual 3.25 dinner celebrating our #smartypants. The bar has been raised to 3.3 next semester! #Studentathletes http://t.co/0YwtXtXzk9 2 days ago
- Football. Old Friends Reunite in Notre Dame Stadium: Notre Dame and Texas
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored Following Strong Opening Weekend
- M. Basketball. Irish Relish Opportunity in Year Three as ACC Member
- General News. A Dream Finally Realized For The Muchemis
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women Top Selection in 2015 ACC Pre-Season Coaches' Poll
- Football. Ready To Open Season Against Texas
- M. Ice Hockey. Pro Hockey Camp Update
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Saturday, September 5th Hours of Operation
- Football. Brian Kelly Football Media Conference
- M. Golf. Rushton Captures Medalist Honors At The 2015 Kickoff Challenge