May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- Stinson-Remick Hall of Engineering at Notre Dame #NDLaxCampusTour instagram.com/p/5-i_hHnRPo/ 10 hours ago
- RT @ProudtobeND: A record eighteen @NotreDame students have been named Fulbright grant finalists in the 2015-16 program. http://t.co/iQd4n6… 12 hours ago
- In Every Direction. Gold. instagram.com/p/55MJ8sHRNd/ 2 days ago
- Zahm House, a residence hall, at Notre Dame #NDLaxCampusTour instagram.com/p/54oVxUHRC_/ 2 days ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/INoRsimPwFE?a NYC/Seattle 2014: ND Lax Annual Networking Trips 3 days ago
- Today is the day🔴⚪️🔵Play Like A Champion Today🍀 Hannah, Sam, and Nikki #beatcanada #USAWLAX #GoForGold🏆 3 days ago
- RT @mattcashore: By popular demand--here's the blue moon. http://t.co/qrd8fggQYT 3 days ago
- RT @FightingIrish: You may notice the "Blue Moon" tonight (2nd full moon in a month)... ...but do you remember the "Blood Moon" in 2014? ht… 4 days ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Perfect day on campus 🍀 http://t.co/IJnABH2qeS 4 days ago
- Good luck Sam, Nikki, and Hannah against England 🔴⚪️🔵🍀 #irishfamily #USAWLAX 5 days ago
- W. Basketball. Loyd Takes WNBAâ€™s Top Rookie Prize in July
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award