May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @NotreDame: Warm Thanksgiving wishes to all those in the Notre Dame Family! https://t.co/9T8CHK4xaB 2 hours ago
- 1st snowfall of the fall. instagram.com/p/-hDVRLHREX/ 1 day ago
- That Moment when you complete the epic comeback. Face offs, ride, double, GB & EMO. instagram.com/p/-gzJEInRDx/ 1 day ago
- RT @NDBusiness: DeShone Kizer's story's nothing short of awe-inspiring: Handed Life’s Twists, Notre Dame Quarterback Turns It Around https:… 1 day ago
- RT @BKLaxClassic: A very big thank you to @NDlacrosse for their part in the @BKLaxClassic. twitter.com/ndlacrosse/sta… 1 day ago
- DOLO @mcsully7 and family at Annual Columbus Turkey Trot #StaffTurkeyTrot #runforpies https://t.co/MPrWT5SvBT 36 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDame: Warm Thanksgiving wishes to all those in the Notre Dame Family! https://t.co/9T8CHK4xaB 1 hour ago
- Picked up some fellow #underarmour athletes on my Thanksgiving Day #turkeytrot #blueteamforthewin #BlueTurkeyTrot https://t.co/yX92mkxJV4 1 hour ago
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING NDWOLAX from these Bmore Beauts #turkeytrot #2ndannual #startedfromarlotta 🍀 #GoldTurkeyTrot https://t.co/iGSV7ZEiyR 1 hour ago
- Stayed tuned today for our second annual Blue v Gold Turkey Trot Challenge! #TurkeyTrot @UnderArmour https://t.co/RkC4j8UXWw 1 hour ago
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Falls At Syracuse In Four Sets
- W. Volleyball. Fry, Morningstar Honored By ACC
- Football. Notre Dame-Stanford 2015 Preview: No Question on Irish Stakes This Week
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish To Host The Sixth Installment of the Shillelagh Tournament
- Softball. January Softball Instructional Sessions To Be Offered
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Looks To Build Towards 2016 During Final Weekend
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Ball In Bahamas Over Thanksgiving
- Football. Brian Kelly Weekly Media Conference Transcript - vs. Stanford
- M. Basketball. Carrying On A Legacy
- Football. #4 Irish Aim to Improve to 11-1 on Saturday