May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- LIVE on #Periscope: Pre-Practice Stretch at Arlotta Stadium periscope.tv/w/arrHozFNV0V3… 9 hours ago
- Read the story as @toddrundgren joined our team and the students they mentor for a day of music at DFAA in South... fb.me/5M1FdYPO6 11 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxExperience: Today's #NDLXP 3pm: Team mentoring w/@toddrundgren 430: Team Lift 6pm: Steak/Hot Dog Game Draft 7pm: JR/NYC Netw… 1 day ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: @toddrundgren playing w/Sophomores Mike Marchese & Mitch Olinger at Dickinson School as part of @playing4peace Mentoring Pr… 1 day ago
- Follow @playing4peace to see the service and community engagement efforts r players are involved with in Chicago, NYC & So. Bend #NDLXP #CCC 1 day ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: RT to wish Katherine Eilers a happy birthday!! https://t.co/jx6c3wRrK0 1 day ago
- 📢🙋🏼Calling all laxers! Join us SATURDAY in Bethesda for a clinic! #NDinMD SIGNUP: ntrda.me/2dhLcvk https://t.co/6QG3sCDaEd 1 day ago
- Congratulations to '09 grad Jill Byers on her recent Hall of Fame induction! https://t.co/Gm60wU8X2R 1 day ago
- RT to wish Katherine Eilers a happy birthday!! https://t.co/jx6c3wRrK0 1 day ago
- Gold Standard this week goes to freshman Erin McBride #11! See Instagram for more! https://t.co/gVN3V9pyvA 1 day ago
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Yet Another Challenge for Irish Defense
- W. Volleyball. Senior Katie Higgins Reflects on Her Notre Dame Volleyball Career
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Teams Up With Todd Rundgren for Dickinson Academy Special
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Meet Orange In Garden State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey No. 9 In Preseason USCHO Poll
- M. Swimming. Men's Swimming and Diving 2016-17 Captains
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming and Diving Announce Captains
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski