May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- The Strength of ND Lacrosse @NDAlumni @NDMCNetwork @NDMonogram https://t.co/q5Wauq8xFk 8 hours ago
- Next up 4 r Juniors in NYC is a reception w/100+ former ND Lax Alums at the @newyorkac to network and learn more about career opportunities 11 hours ago
- Thanks @LaxAllStars for covering & supporting our mission & recognizing r commitment to our players' experiences &… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 11 hours ago
- Terrific day of group meetings & job shadowing @NDLaxExperience https://t.co/wUuEFvuyRJ 13 hours ago
- Brian Buglione '14, Matt Collins '14 & Pat Cotter '13 & '14M address r Juniors about Real Estate @JLL @JLLCareersUS https://t.co/O5AJIfJGl0 16 hours ago
- RT @BleacherReport: .@NDFootball loses roughly 71.8 gallons of sweat per day. The grind never stops #BRxND https://t.co/V38FseGlZl 15 hours ago
- Countdown to Alumni Weekend: NINE DAYS! #NDWLAXalumni https://t.co/FWnrg1YtsY 18 hours ago
- Join us in congratulating '06 graduate Crysti Foote on her selection to the Canadian World Cup training team! https://t.co/qBJsqefXSo 1 day ago
- ALUMNI WEEKEND COUNTDOWN: 10 days! #NDWLAXalumni 🍀 https://t.co/2xJJECMYkY 1 day ago
- Calling ALL ALUMNI: You should have received an alumni weekend update in your inbox yesterday. If you did not... fb.me/37E4Dbvmb 2 days ago
- W. Soccer. Double Overtime Not Enough To Break Scoreless Tie Between #14 Irish, #25 Hokies
- M. Tennis. Kempin Advances To Final Qualifying Round At ITA Regional
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Partnership With Stayer Center
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Takes on Pitt and Virginia Tech in Upcoming Road Trip
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish At Duke Looking For ACC Rebound
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Virginia Tech
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: ITA Midwest Regional & IU Regional
- M. Ice Hockey. #3 Irish And Nittany Lions Meet For Weekend Series
- W. Basketball. Irish Eager to Start 2016-17 Season