May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @byrneirish: “@Head_Wrapz: @NDlacrosse @byrneirish congrats on win. #headwrapz http://t.co/Y3CXPDhAhX” Sick Graphic. Thank You. @NDLax… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Congrats on the huge win for @NDlacrosse today over Syracuse! #TeamUA http://t.co/bq5OvqHHOC 1 hour ago
- RT @Cuse: RECAP: Dylan Donahue nets 7 goals, @CuseMLAX rallies but falls to @NDlacrosse in OT, 13-12 bit.ly/1BG9hO4 http://t.co/2t5… 1 hour ago
- RT @Inside_Lacrosse: .@LaxFilmRoom’s reaction to @NDlacrosse’s thrilling 13-12 OT win over @CuseMLAX bit.ly/1GBKRLe http://t.co/lmi… 1 hour ago
- RT @LacrosseMag: Doss, Near lead as Notre Dame nips Syracuse in 2OT; first-ever Irish win over No. 1 team | laxmag.us/1Ckd4Ty http://t… 1 hour ago
- Arrive early on Sunday to receive a free beanie hat, courtesy of @stjoemed for our ACC showdown vs. #3 UNC at 1 pm http://t.co/NWpu5Vb1hr 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Fortunato and Sexton each scored five in Wednesday's WLAX 18-8 win at Marquette. Read More: und.com/sports/w-lacro… http… 2 days ago
- RT @klinnertz: #CooperEdward sporting his #babyarmour! @UALacrosse @UnderArmour @NDWomensLax #GoIrish 🍀 http://t.co/IGaVj9hnto 2 days ago
- Notre Dame did something for the first time since 2008 to down Marquette, 18-8, on Wednesday. fb.me/4hONZn8yU 3 days ago
- RT @SuzysSwirl: Thanks for swirling with us @NDWomensLax! http://t.co/pWFOLHuj1S 3 days ago
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
- Softball. #RV Irish Shut Out #24 Virginia Tech 2-0 To Take Series Opener
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish Down #1 Syracuse In Double-Overtime, 13-12
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #5/6 Baylor Sunday In NCAA Elite Eight
- M. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (3) #8 Notre Dame vs. (1) #1 Kentucky
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Allen Steals the Show for Irish Versus Stanford
- Softball. Notre Dame Softball Saturday Schedule Update
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 81, #14/17 Stanford 60 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Semifinal)
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford