May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @WeAreNDFans: Is it @NDlacrosse season yet 12 hours ago
- RT @NDLaxTips: What does the NDLaxTV National Coaching Clinic look like, sound like, feel like? Register @ NDLXP.com https:/… 1 day ago
- 2018 NDLaxTV CoachIng Clinic Preview: youtu.be/HvpaQiwLPIw?a via @YouTube 1 day ago
- I added a video to a @YouTube playlist youtu.be/HvpaQiwLPIw?a 2018 NDLaxTV CoachIng Clinic Preview 1 day ago
- RT @LFRVineRepost24: Sergio Perkovic of @NDLacrosse bull dodges, sets his feet and rips it top shelf vine.co/v/OL7uOFBPppp 2 days ago
- 6️⃣ team spots left for our 5v5 Clinic & Challenge on January 28th! ⏱is running out. Sign 🆙today! #🏃👩🏻💻 https://t.co/3kvA5izWSb 5 days ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Have 2⃣ minutes?⏱️ That’s all it takes to renew your Monogram Club membership online 💻 & further the #MonogramClubMission… 5 days ago
- Test Like A Champion this week Irish! #fuelup🍎🥙🍝 #maketimefor😴 #hydrate💦 #dominate📝#Fall2017✔️ 5 days ago
- RT @mattcashore: Bumped into Fr. George earlier today which turned into an invitation to photograph annual @AlumniHallND Candlelight Mass.… 5 days ago
- Celebrating the last day of class and first snow with some a.m. ice cream! #fromthesouth #Jessie #Sydney #Sophs… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey: Bottle and Copyright That Mojo
- M. Basketball. Irish Fall In Overtime Against Indiana, 80-77
- W. Soccer. Five Favorites Photos of 2017: Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Irish Renew Border Battle with (-/RV) DePaul
- W. Soccer. A Look Back: 2017 Top Moments
- General News. Irish Student-Athletes Celebrate 21st Annual Pediatric Christmas Party
- M. Basketball. #Breyteen - Irish Outlast Butler In Overtime Thriller
- W. Basketball. Three Former Irish Named to 2017-20 USA National Team Pool
- W. Soccer. Yu Named Scholar All-American
- Football. Mike McGlinchey Named 101st Consensus All-American In School History