May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- When u r the Head Coach u get the biggest gun. Great day of Paintball at Culver. Sunrise practice on lake tmro. http://t.co/uMKykC7ArU 8 hours ago
- RT @CMALacrosse: Great to have @NDlacrosse on campus for paintball and practice. Nice to catch up with alums Byrne '14 and Trolley '12 http… 11 hours ago
- RT @BKLaxClassic: @JohnKemp101 will be one of instructors at our Youth Clinic. Come learn from @NDlacrosse All-America & @MLL_Lacrosse http… 15 hours ago
- Putting in work before overnight trip to Culver Academy #TeamBuilding #WhatOffseason #NDLXP http://t.co/MKSNz4b39C 16 hours ago
- RT @BKLaxClassic: @MLL_Lacrosse star Brian Phipps @bphipper30 announced as instructor for our FREE Youth Clinic on Oct. 11. http://t.co/2v… 20 hours ago
- Thank you Hartman family for hosting us! #IrishFamily http://t.co/C56dhZvIsB 12 hours ago
- Kiera proves anything is possible. #snowglobe #holeinone http://t.co/CGmo4nfWup 12 hours ago
- It's scrimmage time in Towson! #GoIrish @UALacrosse @FightingIrish http://t.co/H2EM7H7VWq 19 hours ago
- First road trip, first victim. #sleepySarah #fallballorbust http://t.co/4IAagN3Vv8 1 day ago
- Pre-travel nutrition talk. Off to MD! #seeyousoonJoaquin #fallballorbust http://t.co/fGr3BQTbSu 1 day ago
- Football. No. 6 Notre Dame rallies late, but falls 24-22 to No. 12 Clemson
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Clemson Post-Game Notes
- M. Tennis. Covalschi Advances At ITA All-American Championships
- W. Tennis. Robinson Advances At ITA All-American Championships
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: North Carolina State
- Cross Country. Irish Extra: Piane Invitational Becomes Top Early-Season Meet
- W. Soccer. #14/4 Irish Stunned By Miami In 2OT, 1-0
- W. Volleyball. Irish Fall To Boston College, 3-0, Friday Night At Purcell Pavilion
- W. Tennis. Irish Successful On Day One At Purdue Invite
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA All-American Championships