May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @LaxFilmRoom: Nice check by @NDlacrosse LSM John Sexton to put the ball on the ground https://t.co/i7Ot7Qxs2H 5 hours ago
- RT @USILA_Lax: Here's a look at our week 2 release of the USILA/NIKE Div. I Coaches Poll ... usila.org/sports/2017/2/… https://t.co/WCQ6Ks7… 14 hours ago
- Meet Mike Farnish. Another #PhillyTuff Defenseman. All State. All American. https://t.co/kh0yj7HXKa 16 hours ago
- RT @NCAA_Lax: There's a tie atop the #ncaaLAX media poll! t1. @DU_MLAX/@TerpsMLax 3. @UNCMensLacrosse 4. @jhumenslacrosse 5-25: https://t… 17 hours ago
- RT @18stripes: In the opener yesterday @NDlacrosse took down Georgetown in the Longhorn State. 18stripes.com/mens-lacrosse-… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️@NDWomensLax's Special Win Notre Dame downs Michigan 12-5 in Coach Halfpenny's 100th game at ND. 👀@NDcoachPenny http… 1 day ago
- Check out a few of our favorite shots from yesterday's 12-5 victory over Michigan! ☘️📸 https://t.co/XAa9HKcPX4 1 day ago
- Giacolone collected a season-high 12 saves in Notre Dame's 12-5 victory at Michigan ☘️ ↘️RECAP: und.com/sports/w-lacro… 2 days ago
- Soaking up the 65-degree weather in February! #Irishwin ☘️😎 https://t.co/APKWgkNASG 2 days ago
- ☘️IRISH WIN!☘️ https://t.co/8JTD8wEEar 2 days ago
- W. Basketball. Nelson Returning For Fifth Season
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored, Irish Move Up In Rankings
- W. Basketball. Marina Mabrey Claims ACC Player of the Week
- Track. Into Focus: Rachel DaDamio
- W. Basketball. Late Irish Rally Spurs Victory Over Orange
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Win Third Straight With 5-2 Victory Over Louisville
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Check Opening Day Boxes
- Softball. #11/10 Michigan Defeats Irish 9-2