May 1, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT
The Irish put a capper on an impressive regular season Saturday in the home finale with a 14-5 victory over Marquette. The win couldn’t have come at a more opportune time for the team, as Notre Dame was able to lick its wounds and recover from a three game losing streak. During that streak, Notre Dame faced some of its toughest opponents of the year. losing to top-20 teams Syracuse, Connecticut, and defending National Champion Northwestern by three goals or less in each contest.
The Irish now look to earn an at-large spot in the NCAA Championship, which begins with the first round on May 10, after the team failed to reach the Big East Championship.
Notre Dame is led by dynamic playmakers at each position. Senior attack Jenny Granger leads the team with 53 points and 31 goals. Fellow senior Jaimie Morrison and junior Lauren Sullivan each have scored 26 times on the year.
Sophomore Barbara Sullivan has emerged as one of the elite defenders in the game for the Irish as well. She is a nominee for the Tewaarton Trophy, given to the nation’s best player, and finished the year starting all 16 games and collecting 49 ground balls. Sullivan also won 62 draw controls and has forced 32 controlled turnovers. Notre Dame’s scoring defense is ranked 19th in the nation with an average of 8.75 goals allowed per game.
The selection show is scheduled for May 5, when the Irish will hopefully see their name listed as well as their opponent and location of play. All the Irish laxers can do right now is wait and see what their fate is.
However, the time before the tournament can be used to go over strategies for success and practice harder than ever to prepare for future contests. The Irish were knocked out of the tournament by Northwestern last season with score of 12-7. It was head coach Christine Halfpenny‘s first year at the helm and she led the Irish to a 13-5 record. T
his time around, the Irish will look to advance deeper into the tournament and wash out the bad taste still lingering from the end of the 2012 season.
About In The Crease
- RT @OneFootDown: It's the ACC Tournament! #3 @NDlacrosse plays in the semi-final v. Duke tomorrow (8:30 p.m. ET, ESPNU). Our preview: https… 3 hours ago
- RT @CoachMotto: No one is bigger than the team. If you can't do things our way, you're not getting time here and we don't care who you are!… 4 hours ago
- These are dirty. lacrossedotcom's photo instagram.com/p/BEo3qCnGffy/ 6 hours ago
- RT @ACCMLax: The #ACCMLAX Championship begins tomorrow! Not sure where to watch? Click here to find out: theacc.co/mlaxchamp 6 hours ago
- RT @Stylin_Strings: Proud to string for @ndlacrosse who play in @duke_mlax in the #accchampionship2016 ift.tt/1WVdmM7 https://t.co… 6 hours ago
- Halftime will be extended due to a lightning delay. Batten down the Blacksburg hatches! Irish up 9-3 whenever we get back to action. 19 minutes ago
- Fortunato, McMullan and Sexton each scored twice as the Irish ran to a 9-3 halftime lead over Louisville at the ACCs https://t.co/JIizMhiM62 27 minutes ago
- Two straight free position saves for Samantha Giacolone. She has five saves already this half. 31 minutes ago
- The Cardinals break the 7-0 Irish run on a Hannah Koloski tally 1:42 before halftime. Notre Dame still leads 9-3. 33 minutes ago
- Stephanie Toy scores a man-up and it's a 7-0 run and a seven-goal lead for Notre Dame at 9-2. TO Louisville 3:48 before half. 39 minutes ago
- M. Ice Hockey. Hinostroza Added to 2016 U.S. Men's National Team Roster
- W. Tennis. One Team, One Fight
- M. Tennis. Monaghan, Hagar Snare All-ACC Honors
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Rematch with Duke Keeps Wheels Turning
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- General News. 2016 Notre Dame O.S.C.A.R.S. -- A Celebration of Excellence
- Cross Country. Seidel Wins Byron V. Kanaley Award at 2016 O.S.C.A.R.S.
- Track. Seidel, Barber and Madison Honored at 2016 O.S.C.A.R.S.
- Fencing. 2016 Notre Dame O.S.C.A.R.S. -- A Celebration of Excellence