May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
- Mendoza College Rising Senior Mike Marchese is next in #NDLaxPath as he spent summer interning at @Walmart #NDLXP https://t.co/8TWhAuys50 2 hours ago
- Up next in #NDLaxPath is rising Senior Defenseman Mitch Olinger who is a double major in Pre-Med & Economics & spen… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- #NDLaxPath continues with Rising Senior Defenseman Charlie Trense from Mendoza College who spent the Summer in NYC… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Rising Senior & All American Middie Drew Schantz spent the summer in Washington DC with Jones Lang Lasalle immersed… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- You’ve seen where our Class of ‘18 landed now get ready to learn about where our rising seniors travelled, studied… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- Gangs all here 🙋🏻♀️☘️🙋🏻♀️☘️🙋🏻♀️. Ready to take 2018-2019 by storm! #GoIrish #PlayLikeAChampionToday #LoveTheeND… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Up next for Making Moves Monday is junior Jessi Masinko!! She is here in South Bend this summer working as a Strate… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- Just one week away from the Daughters for Dads event in Hingham! Make sure you sign up and donate below!… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- RT @KRPowell10: Watch out @NDlacrosse this future laxer is already practicing his cele’s. ☘️🤛🏻☝️#GoIrish #BrooksMathew #Classof32 @NDWomens… 3 days ago
- ✅ Sunset on the Sea ✅ Dinner at the Grand Hotel ✅ Last day in 🇵🇱 On her final day of study abroad, junior Grace St… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 days ago
- W. Basketball. Look Back at the Foreign Tour
- M. Golf. Chatfield & Jamieson to Compete in US Amateur Championship
- W. Soccer. Irish and Purdue Play to Scoreless Draw
- General News. Sunday Brunch: Foster Breathes 2019 USGA Senior Open Every Day
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Announces Improved Fighting Irish App
- Track & Field. Sparks Adds Three To Coaching Staff
- W. Soccer. Irish Open Preseason With 2-2 Draw
- W. Lacrosse. Daughters for Dads Event Set for Hingham, Mass.
- Football. Camp Culver Concludes
- W. Soccer. Irish Kick Off Preseason Against Michigan