May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Join us in wishing Irish alumna Natalie (Loftus) Hax a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/uPrEs0GUeO 3 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Board Of Directors ☘️☘️☘️ #Community #Legacy #Service https://t.co/1ft9yn6fZN 3 hours ago
- It is Fun Fact Friday. Check out @stootybooty33 fact below! #FunFact #travelbug ✈️ ☘️ https://t.co/A80CdAm1uC 4 hours ago
- RT @mattcashore: Before I zip out of town again...a nice sunrise. https://t.co/34rc7LGN5X 5 hours ago
- Join us in wishing head coach Christine Halfpenny a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! We hope it is a great one!! 🎉🎈🎂 https://t.co/vao01YOpQ4 1 day ago