May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
- RT @FightingIrish: 6⃣ All-Americans 4⃣ Top-3 Finishers 1⃣ NCAA Champion @NDFencing closed out the NCAA Championships with a 💪 performance… 1 day ago
- RT @NDHockey: FINAL - Irish 3, Penn State 2 2️⃣ Consecutive Big Ten Tournament Titles 4️⃣ Consecutive NCAA Tournament bids - a first in pr… 2 days ago
- #11 Notre Dame falls in OT to #5 Ohio State by a final score of 11-10. The Irish are back in action at Arlotta at n… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- The Buckeyes find the back of the net in OT and escape with an 11-10 win. The Irish are back in action next Saturda… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- OVERTIME! The Irish won the face-off but couldn't score. Notre Dame scored twice in the last 80 seconds to send it… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- Our 5th Daughters For Dads game is this Sunday, March 31st! For every fan in attendance, SJHS will donate $25 to th… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- RT @USLacrosseMag: 👀 this week's @NikeLacrosse / @USLacrosse Division I Women's Top 20: laxmag.us/2Tt6gjr https://t.co/cjPatSQyNe 21 hours ago
- RT @GoIrish: .@NDWomensLax is hosting their annual Daughters For Dads game on Sunday, March 31st when they host UNC at Arlotta Stadium at 1… 1 day ago
- RT @stootybooty33: The backbone of the ☘️ defense for the past 4 years & now @NDWomensLax’s all-time leader in saves. In a sport that has s… 1 day ago
- Maddie Howe collected 7️⃣ points (4G, 3A) at Syracuse, marking her fourth 5+ point performance this season.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago