May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
- #11 in the Top 12 Highlights from '16 is a 8-6 win over Duke in front of 5,000 at Arlotta & national ESPNU... fb.me/2pGIVosUR 7 hours ago
- RT @NDBusiness: What's it like to study business at @NotreDame? Senior Ben Fouchs on courses and careers valuepenguin.com/2016/universit… https://t.… 2 days ago
- RT @NDAlumni: The Grotto is beautiful year-round. Meet the caretakers who keep it that way: ntrda.me/29VlqtR. https://t.co/HWSJKmeWr2 2 days ago
- Highlighting the Top 12 Moments from 2016 Season: Spring Break in So. Cal: Defeat of Maryland, Training on... fb.me/3ZPk4jGnJ 2 days ago
- The Beauty of the Notre Dame Campus captured by Photograhee @MattCashore instagram.com/p/BIYQKtSgscD/ 3 days ago
- Honored to work w/ @stjoemed on our Daughters for Dads game in March & raise over $20k for ND's Harper Cancer Center https://t.co/2aQuEVuOLJ 2 days ago
- RT @NDcoachPenny: That's a wrap! Great week of @NDWomensLax Elite Camp! Great campers, great counselors, great coaches! #laxon 👊🏼💥🍀 3 weeks ago
- RT @NotreDame: In a blink and you missed it moment, the @BlueAngels just flew over campus. #NDMoments https://t.co/fFSkhP4Ekf 3 weeks ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🇺🇸 We'd like to salute all of those who have fought for our independence. Happy Fourth of July! https://t.co/IjlIFtPYmu 3 weeks ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Today marks day 1 of year 3 with @UnderArmour. 2 yrs in the 📚✔️ Time flies when you're having fun! #TeamUA https://t.c… 4 weeks ago
- M. Basketball. Jackson Inks Multi Million Dollar Deal With Boston
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Honored With GCAA Team Academic Award
- W. Rowing. Onto World Championships For Gleadow, Team Canada
- W. Rowing. Rowers Earn Team USA Spots
- M. Golf. Barens Qualifies For U.S. Amateur Championship
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Event Coming Up For Men's Basketball
- Softball. Winter Returns, NPF Debuts At Melissa Cook Stadium In August
- M. Basketball. Pro Hoops Alumni Recap
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster