May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When you think lacrosse, central Indiana is certainly not the first location that comes to mind. On Sunday however, four teams and their fan bases invaded Indy for the NCAA quarterfinals. On the Colts’ turf at Lucas Oil Stadium, Denver overcame an early 6-0 deficit to top North Carolina in a 12-11 thriller, before Notre Dame took the field against Duke.
It was the second meeting of the season between the Fighting Irish and the Blue Devils. In the season opener on Feb. 3, head coach Kevin Corrigan‘s team dominated in Durham, led by five goals from junior Jim Marlatt and four by freshman Matt Kavanagh.
A crowd of 7,749 watched the squads battle back and forth – the score was knotted at nine through three quarters – until goals by Marlatt and sophomore Conor Doyle gave the Irish some breathing room. That cushion was short lived, however, as the Blue Devils responded with three straight goals to take a 12-11 lead with 2:16 remaining. Notre Dame unfortunately could not muster up another score, fell to its future ACC foe for the third time in postseason play.
Despite the loss, it was a special weekend for the men’s lacrosse program, as it continued the tradition of holding a special graduation ceremony to honor its seniors on the road. Check out the great video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
About In The Crease
- Brian Buglione '14, Matt Collins '14 & Pat Cotter '13 & '14M address r Juniors about Real Estate @JLL @JLLCareersUS https://t.co/O5AJIfJGl0 2 hours ago
- Steve Collins from JLL addresses r JR's & has set up a great day at JLL w/several former ND athletes… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 3 hours ago
- Next stop, @nbc w/Christina Glorioso, former manager for our team, taking us thru the breadth/depth of its media re… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 5 hours ago
- ND Lacrosse Juniors Head To NYC for Annual Career Development Trip. Read More Here...... fb.me/8pSCvbR9w 7 hours ago
- Alums Kevin Lynak & Eddie Parzanese walk our guys thru history & services of Morgan Stanley #JRNetworkingDay… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 7 hours ago
- RT @BleacherReport: .@NDFootball loses roughly 71.8 gallons of sweat per day. The grind never stops #BRxND https://t.co/V38FseGlZl 1 hour ago
- Countdown to Alumni Weekend: NINE DAYS! #NDWLAXalumni https://t.co/FWnrg1YtsY 5 hours ago
- Join us in congratulating '06 graduate Crysti Foote on her selection to the Canadian World Cup training team! https://t.co/qBJsqefXSo 1 day ago
- ALUMNI WEEKEND COUNTDOWN: 10 days! #NDWLAXalumni 🍀 https://t.co/2xJJECMYkY 1 day ago
- Calling ALL ALUMNI: You should have received an alumni weekend update in your inbox yesterday. If you did not... fb.me/37E4Dbvmb 2 days ago
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Takes on Pitt and Virginia Tech in Upcoming Road Trip
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish At Duke Looking For ACC Rebound
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Virginia Tech
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: ITA Midwest Regional & IU Regional
- M. Ice Hockey. #3 Irish And Nittany Lions Meet For Weekend Series
- W. Basketball. Irish Eager to Start 2016-17 Season
- W. Basketball. Getting to Know the Freshmen: Erin Boley and Jackie Young
- W. Basketball. Preseason WNIT To Help Prep Team For March
- W. Basketball. Turner Hopes For Happy Houston Homecoming